The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the cylinder pulled off of our 740. My brother and I had it out in about 2 hours I guess, maybe a little longer. I was going to remove the cylinder gearbox pulley but I loosened one of the bolts part way out and the impact didn't want to remove it any farther....loctite probably. Impact wouldn't tighten it back up either, so I don't know what I am going to do there...?

Does the large three groove pulley need removed to separate the gearbox from the cylinder? I am installing a Sunnybrook and have two new cylinder bearings, so any tips would be great.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, update.

I got the bolt I loosened holding the pulley on, tight again. This isn't the first time Claas loctite has caused me trouble. This time, it worked without needing a torch. I put a bigger wrench on it and although it popped, cracked and squeaked, it is tight.

I called the dealer for removing the gearbox. You simply remove the center snap ring and plug (gearbox breather) and then remove the bolt. The dealer uses a plate and "pulls" the gearbox off of the shaft, but I was able to pry it off, while tapping on the center shaft.

My next problem is removing the bearing off of the shaft. It is the bearing that supports the cylinder on the right side, between the cylinder and gearbox. I removed the four bolts holding the bearing flange, and removed the "star" nut and clip, but can't get this bearing off of the shaft. I don't think I am missing something...maybe not prying hard enough...?

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
This is one of the bearings I did not replace this summer when I had my cylinder apart. Let us know how you finally got it apart. The dealer told me this bearing rarly goes so I did not bother with it. I wish in retrospect I would have done it when it was all apart.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't get the bearing/flange off of the shaft. When it comes off, I can easily unbolt the shaft from the factory cylinder.
Generally they are a tapered setup try putting nut back on a few turns so you don't damage thread,use correct size pipe over shaft and a few sharp taps should free it up, you will understand once it comes apart, generally easier still in the machine though

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. It came out no problem. I put the nut on the tapered wedge and tapped it. Last night in the dark, the threads looked like they were a part of the shaft.

Gotta hand it to the Germans for the way they build some things. The U.S. (read china) would use a locking collar...I'm learning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.