The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9,740 Posts
What ya asking? Maybe too much? Not saying anything is wrong with it but machines from the 70's and 80's seem to be pretty dead, I usually buy a 1480 every year to part out and they are getting fewer and fewer in the area as I have already scraped 5 of them, thinking about buying gleaners as they seem to be around for next to nothing, been paying up to 8000 for good running ready to go to the field combines and 1500-3000 for anything else. Farm size me be way diff out your way so your market could largely vary from mine.

I have no complaints about old style cabs, the rest can be upgraded

· Registered
1,101 Posts
You could try an add on newagtalk.com, or on this forum too.

If its super duper clean, aka like new, I am sure you can find someone to fall in love with it.

I would tend to agree with the above comments, if you have a soft spot for it and can't bear the thought of it becoming a bracket on a Toyota Prius, then you probably better make room for it and keep it for a backup. Just think of what the kids and grandkids will need to get trained on? an old N series is a great trainer for a future R series owner or operator.

· Registered
165 Posts
Trying to sell one also. Mine is pretty much field ready with a 830 corn head. No bites on it asking 5,000. We already have R7 and R50. It never made it out of the shed last harvest, but guess its ready to go if one of the other ones break.

· Registered
411 Posts
We have our R72 for sale and not had any nibbles either. It's on tractor house. '98 with lots of new parts and new rubber on the front. Been hyperized, have the small drum chopper in it as well. New orange acelorator rolls and chopper knives before we cut wheat this spring. I have all the maintenance and up grade paper work on it since we bought it in '09. May need to park it out by the road, tape a $100 bill to the door handle with a sign that says free to good home.

· Registered
238 Posts
We have our R72 for sale and not had any nibbles either. It's on tractor house. '98 with lots of new parts and new rubber on the front. Been hyperized, have the small drum chopper in it as well. New orange acelorator rolls and chopper knives before we cut wheat this spring. I have all the maintenance and up grade paper work on it since we bought it in '09. May need to park it out by the road, tape a $100 bill to the door handle with a sign that says free to good home.
Tin Man, do you think that you could post a link to your R72? There were several on tractor house. I might be interested in your.

On the note of trying to sell older gleaner combines I guess I might just end up parting out my R70 since it has the p3 like my R62 and R72

· Registered
628 Posts
It may be that combines in general are just not selling well in that area. With so many growers around my neck of the woods there is a surplus of combines with so many especially smaller farms changing over to other crops that don't require combines. For now a lot of those combines newer and older are just sitting in the shed. Sooner or later they will come on the market after the owner comes to realize that he will likely never use it again and a big combine makes for poor farm yard art or to park in front of his house.
Perhaps find someone that's been running an older Green machine and after a season in the N6 he will be happy with the speed simplicity and the huge fuel savings. Got rid of my nice Green machine and never looked back except with disgust that I had wasted all that time and fuel running the darn thing. Time, simplicity and fuel saved I just can't imagine any combine that would top a Gleaner in wheat. Plus the buy it cost of an Series 3 N6 is really low compared to other combines. Just one heck of a lot of bang for the few frogskins it takes to buy a nice N6.
Good luck with the sell.
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon, ( nice and warm here yesterday 112f, forecast about same for today here on the bad end of starvation flats) Most farm ops stopped due to heat and fire danger. At least the humidity level is low like 20 .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.