The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the 18 year cycle hold true, we may see similar weather to 1978 and 1996. I cant recall our crops in those years, I'll have to ask someone with a better memory than mine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
1996 was a very good, high yielding crop. But harvest was wet and late. 1978 I a not sure, I was two, but I think by dad's income tax, it looked very decent.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Best harvest ever for my parents... I was born it Oct 1978!:D

Don't know how the crop was though...:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
78 was the wettest fall ever, can't remember what the crop was like.
96 was a big crop, poor quality due to a long, wet fall

·
Registered
572 Posts
78 was the wettest fall ever, can't remember what the crop was like.
96 was a big crop, poor quality due to a long, wet fall
1978 here was very wet september. think 16 inches of rain fell that month and everything was swathed at that time. Remember it well when you stop moving forward the swath kept coming in for 25 to 50 feet in front of you. Sprouted grain was really bad that year here with up to 6 inches of growth on top of the swaths. Most of the grain was not sellable that year and had to be fed. Thank god we had the dairy that year.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
1978 here was very wet september. think 16 inches of rain fell that month and everything was swathed at that time. Remember it well when you stop moving forward the swath kept coming in for 25 to 50 feet in front of you. Sprouted grain was really bad that year here with up to 6 inches of growth on top of the swaths. Most of the grain was not sellable that year and had to be fed. Thank god we had the dairy that year.
Your memory is excellent Brian!! And also in 1996 it was wet later in the fall. I combined a very nice quality and yield , barley crop. Put it on the ground to save bin space for other good yields. I remember trying to salvage barley out of the pile from 2' of wet spoiled muck on the bottom and wet snow on the top. Had to dry it all and peddle it to feeders. That is when I decided to invest in good bins.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I remember a better than average crop in 1996. Decent quality, and lots of straw in the cereals!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dad calls the harvest of 96 the Harvest from ****, combined oats with the odd flake falling one night. Spring of 97 was seeding from ****, just to put it out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts