The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ground transportation to and from Vancouver is effectively severed due to the intense rainfall. It will be months before the damage to the Trans Canada and 11(?) other highways is/are repaired. It's also going into winter which is not the ideal time to be repairing highways and completely rebuilding bridges. Not to mention towns are flooded, Hope has no real method for food supply at this moment.

What do you think will happen in the next month here? Is our current supply shortage the beginning?

Edit: Forgot to mention the 2 rail lines that are cut as well.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I work in the electrical industry and getting some of the common 2 pole breakers has been a struggle in the Edmonton area. Now with those flooded houses, farm buildings and businesses and their electrical panels needing replacements, plus all the infrastructure back logs with rail and trucking that is going to happen due to bridges washed out. Hang onto your shorts people.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think we all know the answer when a major port gets cut off from the rest of a country. Lets just hope they can fix it quickly and not to many people are hurt or killed. Very serious situation.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I’m sure it’s just another reason to raise prices. On the bright side that should cure the forest fire problem;)

Reactions: shmiffy

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What about all the livestock feeding industry in the Fraser valley? I’d hate to be feeding chickens or dairy cows in the next few months
That was my immediate thought. We send a lot of feed grain to that area by truck. They basically bring it all in, and I assume like most everything else, every step in the chain is just in time delivery. Can they potentially buy back grain sitting in port and send it to the local feedmills? I doubt the ports are set up for recieving grain. And even if they are, how long to originate a ship load of feed grain out of the PNW?

·
Registered
658 Posts
This is a very significant setback that will ripple effect across the country. Yes trucks can detour south through the states but that won’t happen overnight and costs will go up. The farms are flooded, the feed is cut off and will have to come up from Washington, it is a big deal. Rail lines are down for the near future at a minimum, how long nobody knows yet. Expect shortages of vegetables in grocery stores, and Chinese junk from port as well which is pretty much everything else. New shipments diverted to US ports will just be put in the backlogged queue.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have friends on a turkey operation near Abbotsford. Three barns, one empty and awaiting a new flock. The other two barns are a loss. 300x700 foot barns. I forget the exact number of birds. Not much they could have done, water came up so fast they left with the clothes on their back, just about swamped their truck, and water was a foot from flooding the main floor of their house. All their barns, by law had to be built on elevated pads. This was so that they would be above historic flood levels by a foot to avoid the loss of animals. This flood is much more than anything they have seen out there. Most of the farms out there rely on feed mills to bring feed either daily or every other day. They don't have big stores of grains and minerals like a lot of places on the prairies. Things are going to be horrific in a lot of areas out there. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Reactions: CRToney

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Houston is likely going to take up the opportunity of container backlogs at the troubled west coast cities. It’s port is a lot closer to most NA end users. Even Houston to Winnipeg is equivalent distance with Vancouver to Winnipeg on container railcars or truck chassis. The Texas economy is wide open, even with a higher covid case count per capita than here. It’s always hard to bring business back.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Pumps run ten months of the year to keep the lake dry. Can’t imagine what will happen when those pumps are eventually powered by wind and solar. Might as well let nature take its course now.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pumps run ten months of the year to keep the lake dry. Can’t imagine what will happen when those pumps are eventually powered by wind and solar. Might as well let nature take its course now.
You're right. Best thing to do in this situation is blame renewables :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weather forecast for Abbotsford has another 140mm(5") of rain predicted over the next 2+ weeks. However, if their forecast is as good as ours, that will either be 0mm or 280mm.

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
Let’s hope for 0.

Just reading Agriweek, all rail traffic delayed for 5 days?!

All rail service to Vancouver was suspended for five days from November 16 because of flood dam- age to track of both railways in the BC interior and local flooding. Between 1,000 and 1,500 loaded grain cars were stranded east of Kamloops and no cars were being returned. It was the worst rail disruption since the native blockades of CNR track in 2919. While rail grain traffic is currently light it may take up to two weeks for grain movement to normalize. Road access for container trucks was also cut off. Earlier, extreme rain and winds to 90 km interrupted ship loading at Vancouver terminals for a time.

Doubt Morris will sue me, he did buy me lunch once.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts