The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thresh peas, barley, HRS wheat and canola both straight cut and swathed. Can a set of howard concaves be left in for all crops and get good bus/hr?

Any cracking issues in peas or silage made in straight cut canola?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I thresh peas, barley, HRS wheat and canola both straight cut and swathed. Can a set of howard concaves be left in for all crops and get good bus/hr?

Any cracking issues in peas or silage made in straight cut canola?
I personally don't have a Howard but my uncle has one in one of his 4 9870s and likes it the best of the 4, and yes he uses it on all four of the crops you have mentioned. I think he still runs fillers in wheat and does a nice job in peas!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The way my harvest is looking I am going to have 1 field of peas ready and then some wheat and back to peas. Don't want to change concaves all the time.

·
Registered
724 Posts
We run Howard concaves in our 2 STS combines. We harvest canola, lentils, durum and soybeans and never change concaves. We've been very happy with the job they do.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We run Howard concaves in our 2 STS combines. We harvest canola, lentils, durum and soybeans and never change concaves. We've been very happy with the job they do.
Have you ever tried straight cut canola with the howard concaves?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Read some where online that suggested the more aggressive threshing from the howard concave would make silage out of the green canola stalks when straight cutting.

Glad to hear it is not a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts