The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to rebuild my stripper plates on my 830 hugger head. Any advice on whether to use square or round rod? Also type of material? What size? Thanks Greg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not to good on spelling today, meant to say their stripper plates. We use to rebuild the massey cornhead plates, going back with the round rod, but would be curious if anybody did use square with better results. Thanks in advance

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,887 Posts
I have done our, other brand, plates with stainless round bar. I don't see the point of square. It will end up rounded anyway. Wouldn't square chip or crack kernels?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did not try to steal the original post here, but thankyou Phantom, did you do yours on the cornhead, with good results. It would be easier, and was the stainless easy to bend and weld, and work with.

·
Registered
310 Posts
John Deere has square edge deck plates, CIH has beveled, Agco has a raised rod welded onto their deck plate, I struggle with this raised rod thinking it is another shear point to shell kernels. CIH says theirs hugs the ear to prevent shelling but others say the bevel actually helps feed shelled kernels through the head for header loss. Some say the raised rod helps keep the shelled kernels on the deck plate & fed into the combine but also keeps more trash feeding into the combine? Pick your evil, in the end all heads shell corn if not properly adjusted or run at the proper speed. I thought if I were to rebuild ours I would weld the rod on flush with the top of the deck plate to prevent this extra shear point from shelling kernels. The round stainless rod sounds like a good idea as it is easy to work with.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked with a mechanic at the dealer who I respect a bunch and he is well into his 70's. Asked him that question and he said you can do what you want, but 7/16 cold roll rod is what he recommends. He said when they did square, it seemed to cut the stalk off too much. Guess I'm going round. Got them off today and going to rebuild.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,887 Posts
Did not try to steal the original post here, but thankyou Phantom, did you do yours on the cornhead, with good results. It would be easier, and was the stainless easy to bend and weld, and work with.

Yes, easy to weld and bend. I think it was 8mm. Just used normal mild steel wire in the MIG. I only used stainless tho because I had heaps of it laying around. As it turns out its pretty hardy with wear. Last year I took all the plates off and got the local Engineering shop to run them thru a milling machine to take out a worn spot and make the bar edge true and straight again.

Would Agree with above statement about sharp square edge cutting or stripping more trash and stalk onto the plates and into the machine and damaging kernels.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We have one head with square stainless welded on flat and another head with 7/16 rod attached raised. Can't see much difference in field. In future will probably use 7/16 rod again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts