The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on here since this site was created. I trust most opinions too... Anyhow, I work on a large scale cash crop/hay farm in Ontario.Two summers ago I was hurt working on a new bale chopper that came in. Broke my back. Luckily I was not paralyzed. Likely karma for all the stuff ive gotten away with since I was a kid and very athletic, always taking chances growing up with it. Anyways I sat out a summer. Needles to say the most depressing time of my life by far.
I have lived to farm since I was 5 years old. I just now turned 30. I'm looking ahead. I don't want to be 55 or 60 and face the fact that I can no longer work like I do. I feel there is no other life for me then farming and I Love the work. I rarely take time off unless I have to and I have dedicated my life to what I do. I have made my bosses happy and I've gotten twice as many hours and experience under my belt then almost any my age. What I'm trying to say is that I am not someone out to get somebody else for my own benefit... but I feel like down the road when my boss is gone and its all sold and gone I'll be left with a back that wont let me do this heavy work anymore. I went thru the whole thing with WSIb and all that. What would you do if you were me? I'm ticked at the dealer for sending out a new chopper with the ramp just strapped up and the cylinders hanging. (I was hooking them up when the ramp came down.) And I have more respect for my boss then anyone else I know. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry to hear of your injury. I'm certainly not trying to offend you or upset anyone so please don't take offence. I'm not sure what the diff would be if you worked at a dealership or family owned motel or whatever, if you got hurt, I don't think the owner is obligated to give you anything when he retires, however he may want to reward with a piece of the pie but certainly would be up to him. Most employees at a company are given a boat or something after 25 years of dedicated service but not a piece of the company. IMO. Interested to see other replies.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Are you looking for a thumbs up to sue? This is the reason farmers and dealerships carry liability insurance. Who was negligent? You, farmer, dealer?

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,747 Posts
I don't want to be 55 or 60 and face the fact that I can no longer work like I do. I feel there is no other life for me then farming and I Love the work.

It's called ageing.

I don't know anybody at that age who can work like they did when they were in their 20-30s. Accident or no accident. Our spines are our weakest link. I have a bad back too. Due to earthmoving machinery. No accidents (except for numerous horse/motorbike falls) touchwood. Can barely lift a concave into a header now and if I do, then a week of pain after. Do I hold my father (earthmoving gear) to blame?? Do I blame my current employer (14yrs now) for me having to lift heavy harvester components?? Do they owe me anything??

NO. Absolutely not. Do I expect something?? NO.

If I hurt myself it will because of my own stupidity. People expect their asses to be wiped by someone else these days incase they themselves might get hurt on the toilet seat. Makes me cranky. Sue, sue, sue, blame blame. Ridiculous. People looking for payouts.

As for the " only life for me", jeez pal. You sound like your first girlfriend dumped you. There's plenty of other things to do. More seat time in the AG industry, less manual labour. Plenty of options, even a complete career change. Most farmers slow up anyway as they get older and employ labour to do all that stuff you have been doing.

Spare a thought for the poor defence forces chap who loses both his legs in a war. He can't do what he loved to do anymore. He has to get a desk job or just get on with life.

Also sounds like you knew the machine wasn't assembled properly in the first place,so why did you get hurt??
Quit feeling sorry for yourself and get on with life. Thank the Almighty that you are still around and can work. Many people worse off than you.

You asked, so there it is, my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Having trouble following your post. Are you working right now at your old job, doing the same thing you did before you got hurt? Most people don't mind slowing down once they are nearing 60 years of age. Can't see how you would think compensation would be valid just in case you can't work as hard when you are 30 years older.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Boy This is a hard one.. I am thinking you are not so much worried about if your boss will give you something as you are worried about when and if you are not able to work later in life because of the injury you got while working? and how you will handle that financially?

Like above said who was as fault.... I remember when I was younger and thought I was bullit proof . The company I worked for had a safety program if their were no loss time accidents ect their would be bonuses ..good ones like 300 a week make it a year drawing for airline tickets and boats even..... There were certain things that myself and other should have done but did not want to rock the boat .... several years later I have two shot knee's 4 surgeries and more to come and 2 bad hips ..... lucky I can still work long and hard for how much longer???? will I be in the financial position to keep the lifestyle that I have now... ( I already can not go skiing with my kids which are only 8 and 10... was . I was a huge company man I made them tons of money did anything and everthing they ever wanted ... If I can not work tomorrow because of previos work enjuries that never got documented they are not going to make a payment to the bank for me because it is the right thing to do ....

I have zero idea how workers comp even work in Canada or the equivalent ... I am sure it would never make you whole . If you go the lawyer route I would tell you boss before you talk to one so you do not blindside him. and tell him you are worried about your long term financial and physical health . & If you talk to a laywer remember (most ) will tell you what ever you want to hear as long as you keep paying him... I am not a fan of lawsuits (most of them anyways) you do have to look out for yourself because most time no one else will. Good luck

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I don't want to be 55 or 60 and face the fact that I can no longer work like I do. I feel there is no other life for me then farming and I Love the work.

It's called ageing.

I don't know anybody at that age who can work like they did when they were in their 20-30s. Accident or no accident. Our spines are our weakest link. I have a bad back too. Due to earthmoving machinery. No accidents (except for numerous horse/motorbike falls) touchwood. Can barely lift a concave into a header now and if I do, then a week of pain after. Do I hold my father (earthmoving gear) to blame?? Do I blame my current employer (14yrs now) for me having to lift heavy harvester components?? Do they owe me anything??

NO. Absolutely not. Do I expect something?? NO.

If I hurt myself it will because of my own stupidity. People expect their asses to be wiped by someone else these days incase they themselves might get hurt on the toilet seat. Makes me cranky. Sue, sue, sue, blame blame. Ridiculous. People looking for payouts.

As for the " only life for me", jeez pal. You sound like your first girlfriend dumped you. There's plenty of other things to do. More seat time in the AG industry, less manual labour. Plenty of options, even a complete career change. Most farmers slow up anyway as they get older and employ labour to do all that stuff you have been doing.

Spare a thought for the poor defence forces chap who loses both his legs in a war. He can't do what he loved to do anymore. He has to get a desk job or just get on with life.

Also sounds like you knew the machine wasn't assembled properly in the first place,so why did you get hurt??
Quit feeling sorry for yourself and get on with life. Thank the Almighty that you are still around and can work. Many people worse off than you.

You asked, so there it is, my opinion.
This is nearly word for word what was going through my head while reading your post.

****, I cannot do no what I could 15 years ago, and it sucks.

Bottom line is we all get older, and that sucks, but it sure as **** beats the alternative.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Drop the farming for somebody in Ontario, move to Fort McMurray work for one of the oilsands mine for 10 years then retire. A few of the companys would average your yearly salary and you would get 1 years salary as a bonus after 5 years. (operations and im not sure if that's done any more)

Then you don't have to worry about working in your 55-60

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a tempting offer meritmat! Thanks to all for the replies. I was talking with a former co/worker/ farmer who was going in for another back surgery and found myself wondering if I should be doing anything since I wont have his financial cushion of owning land etc. not to mention I couldn't give any answers to his questions about my legal rights for money for down the road if I have a problem with my back similar to him. at the time I was so interested in getting life back to normal I never thought to look ahead at what might happen if I was unable to work and could've made it easier on myself if I had looked into it more... I can remember having days, sometimes two or three days of no sleep as we all do every year farming and thinking I should do something better then what im doing. Now, after that close call im thankful everyday I get to go out and wrench on equipment or work with cattle or help plant a crop... I plan on living till im 70+, Lord willing. I also plan to be still working on a farm at that age to some extent. I'm hoping my back will not be in the way of this goal. I don't think I could get up in the morning and not be able to farm, its that simple. thanks, Montana I appreciate your info... Ill see what I can do to take care of myself but legal help comes with big expense$. it's definatly not in my interest to sue anyone. Im glad Im single and don't have any dependents. This is not a subject I know much about. I figured id come off like someone that sues ppl or is feeling sorry for myself...etc. Guess shouldn't worry about something that's not a problem yet...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am sure glad to see this last post, i thought it was someone wanting to sue or wanting something for nothing. In America, we who work are responsible for our own future, and the future of those who are too lazy to work apparently, and every step in life will more than likely have an affect on something down the road. i know several people who have had major back problems, and most have worked through it. I am same age, grew up on family farm, and am now farming on my own. in 2006 i was hit by a vehicle in a crosswalk and broke my pelvis, i am sure it will with age hurt me, but i am planning ahead for the event of not being able to work.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I couldn't give any answers to his questions about my legal rights for money for down the road if I have a problem with my back
Why would the farmer be liable to pay your medical bills down the road? Was the farmer grossly negligent that caused the injury? Was this accident easily preventable by the farmer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts