The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Seedcleaner in another post regarding the rotor gearbox: "We run 85-140 in the rebuilt case. Is that wrong to do?"

Got me to thinking about this. I chucked several transmissions in my 1640. And wondered why we use such thin oil in these gearboxes? Why not run 85-140 in the trans, rotor, pto, and finals?

Any thoughts or experience out there?

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
620 Posts
Feeder drive box in your 1640 should have 85W-140 gear oil in it or synthetic. Finals, transmission and rotor box use Hytran, reason I was told is for improved splash lubrication in colder operating temperatures versus 85W-140 which will not splash enough in cold temperatures. Finals, transmission and rotor boxes do not have a pressurized lube system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that they are strictly splash lube. Just wondering if there was any real world experience out there with running the heavier lube in these areas.

I'll add, that my 1640 never had final drive problems with Hy-Tran. My PTO and the rotor gearbox both leaked for the last two years using Hy-Tran.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There's a sticker on our 2388 by the rotor gearcase that says to use Case 135 HEP, which I think is the same stuff in the feeder drive. It's thick and yellow, anyway. In the old 1480 I had to add oil to the rotor box every few days and I just used Hy-Tran. I never had any problems with the rotor boxes on either machine (well, aside from the leak on the 1480).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts