The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a quad track and have a 9430 that are going to pull the same implements, what are people doing about hyd oil cross contamination?
Should a person switch to a petrocan duratran Xl oil or I was told I can use case hytran in a deere
Both tractors have there manufacturers oil right now.
Thanks in advance for your advice

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I wouldn't worry. Think of how many pieces get exchanged/borrowed/rented/whatever and no one drains the systems down. That's always been my thoughts, right or wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Refiner and brand of oil means squat, its all about the specifications that matter. No manufacturer refine or package their own, its all made by someone else. Compare the numbers in the fine print on the pail to what the manufacturer's specs are, those numbers are there, you might have to dig a bit to get them. I believe Caterpillar currently has about the highest specs for some of their transmission fluid requirements. Also, with some of the second party branded oils, ie Canadian Tire and some manufacturers, if you search the MSDS records, it will often show who actually refined and packaged the oil.

·
Registered
524 Posts
we buy the cheapest hyd with the right package , keep it clean and free of moisture and whats the difference. Usually half price of oem. There is north 40, boss, danson and even agricity. They all have the right packages

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
If the oil used says "approved for use in", that usually includes case, JD, CAT, AGCO... You will be ok.

If the oil says "recommend for use in", I don't care how expensive it is and how great the salesman and neighbor says it is, DO NOT USE IT. It is not approved by anyone. That usually even includes AMSOIL and Schaffer, and other expensive and cheap popular garbage. Sorry white owl, they do not all have the right "packages".

That is about my only and official recommendation to anyone as a mechanic that rebuilt pumps and hydraulic components and a farmer that owns and uses his own equipment when it comes to oils. Well, change your filter when called for. If you do regular samples. I don't even worry about changing the hyd and trans oils that much. Just the filters.

Cross contamination in hyd systems. I recommend to try and avoid it. It is unavoidable for the most part. Don't worry about it.

Do oil samples from each component on your equipment and send them in yearly or every other year. Say every 1000 hours. That will often catch problems before they become explosive and shut you down when you need the equipment. That and fix the leaks. Do that and things usually go good.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have oil spec sheets that differ
I have to submit to the companies for approval.I contract with them and have to cover my ass

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of changing them both to petrocan Duratran xl, does anyone use petrocan products on Deere or Case and how do they like it

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Can anybody show me an o'ring or seal that was damaged by using another brand of oil with the right ratings. i always here from parts guys with soft hands tell me it will eat the seals, i have never seen the damage ever.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
That was more the story years ago, like back in the 60s. Have I ever seen a seal or oring fail even on anything from that vintage from different brands of the proper oil, no. But where the real issue arises is with wet clutches and brakes, different facing materials on drive plates, bands and discs react to different lubricity factors in different oils, can cause them to slip or grab...and this where it has always been important to run proper oils in automatic and powershift transmissions. Remember the old Type F tranny fluid for the Ford automatics back up to early 80s? Compare it to Dextron that GM used, one was slippery and the other wasn't so much so.
As for most modern oils, between brands they are pretty much interchangeable if they are the same specs, first I run into of my own equipment in recent times is the powershift tranny in my D7H, while the diff steer and hydraulic systems are all compatible with standard transmission hydraulic fluids, that tranny calls for something beyond so I have to keep a supply specifically just for that.

After reading Lanwickums post I realized I didn't specify I was referring to different brands of oils of proper specs, not different types. Using wrong spec oil can absolutely cause catastrophic failure issues.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
My dad bought a swather that had been overheated and leaked oil all over it. Got tired of spending the money for approved oil and bought some North 40 oil. It was about 5 gallon a day. He was trying to get haying done. It was 15 gallon a day when he started to use the north 40 stuff. I later changed every seal on that swather. He would not buy north 40 oil again.
When I was doing reapir work, the ones the used north 40 had more leaks than the approved oil guys. Took one tractor and sealed all the leaks for one guy. Had a bunch more leaks the next year. I asked him to quit using the cheap non approved oils. He did sell 2 of his tractors and bought a brand new one after that. He won't put the cheap non approved oil in the new tractor. Glad he doesn't. It doesn't have a leak on it, yet. That was around 5-6 years ago. Can I prove the north 40 oil causes leaks, no.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
MacDon swathers run 15W40 engine oil in their hydraulic systems, including the hydrostatic drive of the swather tractor. And my uncle runs 15W40 in his old tractors' transmissions and hydraulics also. Don't think I'd do that on anything other than old machines.

As for us, we run that genuine green HyGard oil in everything that calls for hydraulic oil. It's not cheap but with the change intervals being close to 1500 hours on most of our tractors I don't really stay up at night worrying about it.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
For those who had already read my post, I did some editing after reading Lanwickum's as I realized I didn't specify I was referring to different brands of proper spec oils. If you missed those edits, please re read it, thanks.

Also another one of specfic specs many miss these days and that is there is now a DOT4 brake fluid which is somewhat compatible with the very common DOT3 that many of us have been using for years, but mixing the two is not recommended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts