The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a few years ago there was someone who installed a hyd oil cooler rad on their air cart over the fan inlet to cool off the oil a bit.

I believe it was someone with an open center tractor running a flexi coil cart.

No amount of searching has helped me find that thread.

Any help out there remembering who it was or where to find it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but about 15 years ago I put a oil cooler on an old flexi-coil cart(1600?) in the return line from the fan motor and spaced it about 2 inches from the air inlet. I bought the cooler from the flexi-coil dealer for about 450$ It was a closed center tractor but I needed some extra cooling and it seemed to work. I don't remember if the cooler was a flexi-coil part # or if it was possibly a versatile #. The size was about 18" square and about 11/2- 2" thick.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the pressure of the fluid coming out of the fan motor?

If it's say 2500 psi on the inlet side, what is the drop to the outlet side?

I am looking for a little extra cooling of the fluid.

I run a morris air tank with my old steiger tractor. I have a flow control on it with the return line going through a front mounted cooler but the fluid still gets a little warm and fan speed drops during the day at the same percentage on the flow control.

I am thinking a cooler in front of the fan will take a little more of the edge off.

I am not expecting miracles - would just like to get another few seasons out of this setup before buying a closed center tractor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steiger bearcat pt 225

Priority given to an electronic flow control.

Return goes to an oil cooler in front of tractor and then goes to tank through filtration.

Case drain to bottom of tank.

Works perfectly. Fan only takes 12 gpm - toolbar lifts a bit slow, but nothing terrible.

And yes - I realize this is not ideal, but it works fine now and has for the past couple years.

·
Ken Adams
1,357 Posts
If it works perfectly, why is it not ideal?
Not familiar with you "electronic flow control".
If you add cooler in front of drill fan and return oil through another separate (large enough) filter and then to reservoir. That leaves cooler in front of tractor to cool steering and remote oil. Should almost double your cooling and as long as your added filter has a built in bypass (i.e. about 50psi), pressure on cooler shouldn't be a concern!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see the inconsistency in my language.

It's not ideal because I am rigging up an open center tractor to run something that *should* be run by a closed center system.

The hydraulic system functions perfectly fine in the sense that I am able to run the fan - I would just like to cool things off a touch more to be easier on seals and keep the viscosity at the point where fan speeds stay consistent throughout the day instead of having to bump open the flow control as the day wears on.

Makes sense?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I put a cooler on my cart and used it for 8 years on one cart and 4 more on another cart. I had it on a stieger st270. It made it so I could run all day instead of just a couple hours. I also added a oil temp gauge so I knew when to stop when the oil got to hot. With the cooler, it never got to hot. One time I cultivated a field without the fan running on the cart and the oil got smoking hot after 3 hours. Way better with the extra cooler for sure.
I took it off when I upgraded tractors but after reading that down under they use the coolers to warm and dehumidify the air stream, my plan is to bolt it back on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My older Great Plains air drill from the mid 90's has a nice cooler on it in front of the fan inlet. I believe a CaseIH 8500 might have the same cooler. If there was one of these on a lot nearby you could get a good idea on how to do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.