The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when using implements between different machines, power beyond will be a problem, but what about single or double acting cylinders?

for single acting cylinders as long as you connect when its retracted there should be no oil mixing, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why is it a problem?
some tractors share tranny/hydraulic oil is why it can be a problem, so dirty/incompatible oil could get into your transmission and whos knows what then

Double acting cylinders always have oil in them, single acting purge all the oil when retracted but you still have oil in the lines.
right, so when you hookup next tractor, the old oil will flow into cylinder and new oil in lines, retract cylinder it empties, new oil back into tractor and previous old oil will stop at the end of the hose, i doubt they will mix inside the line/cylinder?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
If a single acting cylinder isn't bottomed out completely its obviously going to have oil contained within it, never mind the hoses and since I would say a large portion of farm equipment has double acting cylinders its impossible to avoid cross contamination between tractors.

I've been so used to using a gear/hydraulic/trans type hydraulic oil for the tractors hydraulic system even if its not tied to the transmission as the next tractor does need to run that type of oil so I don't have to worry about what tractor I should or shouldn't hook up to what implement, would drive a person batty otherwise. The problem could be renting or borrowing someone else's implement if they just use a straight hydraulic oil but then again who uses a straight hydraulic type oil ?

All the tractors we've owned can run the same oil thankfully. Now something like a self contained unit like a self propelled auger for example that I would never have reason to hook onto anything else, I run a really thin specialty oil in it so it flows good in the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.