The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have a 4wd with a PTO. Do any of the larger carts have hydraulically driven augers? (we need a minimum 1500 bushel cart) Or is the hydraulic drive not the way to go .... should i install a PTO on the tractor?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Starting to see more hyd drive carts around here. PTO is still most common though.

The way the local JD dealer explained it to me is this:
1) Costs less to put a hyd drive on a cart than PTO on a tractor. Especially critical if this is the only PTO job for the tractor. Lots of high-HP 4WD's around here with PTO only for grain cart work.
2) Some tractors (especially some JD models - see who was telling me this!) there is no PTO option.
3) Need high capacity hydraulics. Hyd drive uses 2 outlets and they should be from seperate pumps. The cart can run on a single outlet with lower flow, but it takes longer. If set up properly, the unload time should be very similar.
4) Benefit is that if something major happens to your cart tractor, you aren't limited to looking at PTO-only tractors.

Having said all that, we currently have a PTO cart.....

Andrew

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
We have a Brent 1282 cart with hydraulic drive cart on a 450 Quad. Unload capacity is about 200 bushels/minute in wheat, 250 in barley and canola. Mine is hooked up to 2 outlets on the same pump @ 57 gallons. WE were told not to hook to both pumps for hydro motor. Advertised Pto unload speed for my cart is 600 bushels/minute.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I think your going to max out at around 1000-1100 bus carts on a hyd drive. Anything with a cross auger or larger corner auger isn't going to have a hyd option. Unverferth builds several 1000bus models available with hyd, the highest speed option needs 3 hyd circuits so you will probably need hi flow hyd on the tractor. I would look at how many combines your trying to service. If you only have two machines doing wheat/canola/soybeans I think you could make it work. But more machines or crops such as barley/oats/corn your going to be unhappy with hyd auger performance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your going to max out at around 1000-1100 bus carts on a hyd drive. Anything with a cross auger or larger corner auger isn't going to have a hyd option. Unverferth builds several 1000bus models available with hyd, the highest speed option needs 3 hyd circuits so you will probably need hi flow hyd on the tractor. I would look at how many combines your trying to service. If you only have two machines doing wheat/canola/soybeans I think you could make it work. But more machines or crops such as barley/oats/corn your going to be unhappy with hyd auger performance.

I am only servicing two machines but my problem is I want to do it with a cart and one truck. If the cart only dumps each combine once before needing a truck it would be hard for the truck to get back in time. If I can dump each combine once full and once at 3/4 full, I would buy the truck the time to get back. It sounds like I need a PTO ($23000 from parts) or a new tractor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had both and IMO there is no comparison. I would not go back to a hyd driven. The pto is way faster and in tough crops you simply can not even come close to being happy with a hyd driven. The PTO is a pain to have on big HP tractors but it is well worth it especially in heavy bulky crops like Jason said. If you do have to install a PTO on your tractor you will not lose that value when u sell/trade it. It seems everybody is looking for big powered PTO. Like is said IMO :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
We bought our 1000 bu cart with both pto and hyd. used the hyd the first year and upgraded the tractor to a pto tractor the second year. Night and day difference. The hyd is a bandaid setup. It works but big carts need pto's IMO. I wouldn't concider a 1500 bu cart on hyd. Switching them from hyd to pto is easy so if you need to run hyd for a while and upgrade your tractor to one with a pto all you have to buy is the drive shaft(Brandt).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll sell you a hyd kit for your grain cart then you can just order one with a pto? It's off a single auger 1000 bu Brandt.
Thanks for the offer but if we go the cart route I think it will be at least a 1500 bushel cart. If the hydraulic auger is only 200 bushels per minute it would take too long to transfer the grain so we would trade our tractor for one with a PTO.

·
Registered
924 Posts
We have a Brent 1282 cart with hydraulic drive cart on a 450 Quad. Unload capacity is about 200 bushels/minute in wheat, 250 in barley and canola. Mine is hooked up to 2 outlets on the same pump @ 57 gallons. WE were told not to hook to both pumps for hydro motor. Advertised Pto unload speed for my cart is 600 bushels/minute.
Is that just a gear motor?
I am building a 130t paddock bin and plan to use a radial piston motor to drive it. Way more torque and speed. More expensive of course than a gear motor but no where near as much as a PTO conversion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put a radial motor on our chaser bin last year. One remote only required runs table auger and unload. Would only be just slower that the same bin with pto. Only just. Made buy sai and it was about $3100 bucks. Can buy a lot bigger one than the one I got.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pto

We just went through this whole process. We have a one year old CaseIh 550 quad track. Unfortunately we didn't order it with a PTO. Biggest cart we could find with Hyd drive is a Brant 1300 bushel. Hydraulic drive kit for the cart was 6000 bucks, we decided we were better off to put that money into PTO installation. Its costing us 22000 bucks to get the PTO installed in our 550. We thought about trading the tractor on another new one. They don't make the 550 anymore, we would have had to get a 580. They wanted 140000. difference. We decided the 22000 for PTO installation seemed like a better option. We bought a 1600 bushel Elmer's cart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.