The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: hydraulic reverser cylinder on axial flow comb

Blew two of them on new 04 2388 in 3.5 years.Replaced with black one from Case that lasted until it was traded(1.5 years)

·
Registered
620 Posts

Oh yah, there is a pressure spike everytime the feeder is engaged and it will work on the weld of the cyl housing. The newer combines 25XX and later have an accumulator in-line to eliminate the psi spike. There is a kit to install on older machines with the hyd reverser which is less than half the price of the cylinder so if you put a new cylinder on better go back and get the accumulator since it is less than another hyd cyl.
For everyone else out there if your combine has the hydraulic reverser and no accumulator in the circuit I would strongly suggest you get one to save yourself the cost and anguish of the cylinder replacement.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
ok so the cylinder housing (the cylinder that engages the drive) split into two halve a couple days ago and i mean upper half and lower half the new cylinder was 300 dollars has this cylinder ever malfunctioned for anyone else?????

·
Registered
117 Posts

the `07`s didn`t have them(accumulater) and the reverser is only on high pressure when the switch is pulled to use it otherwise it returns to sump

·
Registered
620 Posts

Thought all the 25XX machines had the accumulator. It may have been a running change for the 2007 model year and I am sure the 2008's all had them installed.
The accumulator kit has a small accumulator in it and a couple of hyd lines and fittings to plumb it in. It is located on the reverser, you can't miss it. Follow the line out of the hydraulic cylinder back.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

well this is a 2007 2577 that this happened on so were would that accumulator hiding at??

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

We blew one of those on a 2007 2588 last year. That circuit is on pressure when the header is on (maybe even all the time the engine is running). In my case, there was a pin hole in the weld at the middle of the cylinder, so it was spraying oil out towards the header.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

ok mine has it its a little bugger of an accumulator and that was suppose to prevent that cylinder for rupturing??

·
Registered
196 Posts

talked to my local dealer to day, and he had heard nothing of these problems, does somebody have a part number or something I could give hem.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

yup thats what i saw on my machine must have been some freak accident with mine

·
Registered
109 Posts

yes we just bought a cylinder also. we have a 08 2577, with the accumulator, it went at 600 hours, the last 2 combines had the same problem this is the first one that we had to pay for! good thing is, the dealer had one in stock. I was thinking of having a hose made to join the two ends together so if it happens again you could keep on driving because it is under pressure all the time.

·
Registered
90 Posts

If you remove the cyl you must plug the hoses, can't hook them together. TORQUE

·
Registered
5 Posts

We have had that cylinder break twice in the last 2 years on the '03 2366. We had the accumulator on it also the second time it broke. And yes, every time it broke at the weld. Had the accumulator tested, wasn't at a high enough psi, got it charged up correctly, no problems since. Accumulator is worth it if it is set up correctly.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

The fact that it is ALWAYS the weld that breaks seems to me like a manufacturing problem. The sad part is that this has been a problem for years. An accumulator may help reduce the issue, but the seals on the cylinder and the hoses don't seem to be a problem. That weld shouldn't be the weak point.

-Lance

·
Registered
203 Posts

Our '08 2588 split the weld on the cylinder this year. I am not expecting a recall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts