The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering upgrading my R62 from beveled gears to the later model hydraulic motor so I can spread residue 36'. Where should I start looking for a setup? I have come across a few manufactures that offer an electric drive for the motor, the only drawback is its only a 15 gallon reservoir. Would this tax my alternator too much if I went with an all electric system as opposed to attaching it to the engine?

·
Registered
548 Posts
You take an old hyd. pump system off of a straight or pickup header and run belt down to either chopper drive shaft or main shaft and run a wire up to cab to control speed.Or you trade up to a 5 series then its done for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
we replaced the drive pulley with a little larger one on our r65. I don't remember the diameter but the spreader ran at 440 rpm. It would easily spread 35 feet. It was cheap to do and we rarely change the spreader speed on the new ones with hydraulic spreaders.
Plus the hydraulic drives don't maintain a steady speed. You have to adjust for different oil temperatures or when you turn the lights on and they just randomly speed up or slow down.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice straitpipe, I have done similiar to what you did on a rental machine several years back. Posted alot about it here, my worry with speeding up the spreader using a pulley is the increased wear on the beveled gears, and if I get them hot its just a kindling pile laying on top of the gears. I think those gears were something like 4-500$ a set when you do wear them out. I have a hydro spreader on my 65 and it spreads the residue like crazy and like that I can turn it down when the grain cart comes up behind me while Im picking corn. Hate flinging whole cobs at a 1000+$ window. I like the idea of an electric drive since it would be completely self contained, but im afraid it wouldnt have the juice to run at peak performance during the nighttime. Unless I switched the whole combine over to LED lights, and that may not even be enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.