The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I up-dated combines from 4420 to a 1998 9410. Used it in wheat and like it fine. But the only thing Ive noticed is the hydro doesnt hold speed. i was going 2.4 then on hills it will come down to 1.9-1.7-1.6 etc. Is this the norm?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes, that is normal, that is why you have one hand on the hydro handle at
all times to control the speed and flow of grain entering the machine.
You may notice that downhill you will gain some speed.

Nice combine, you will get used to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply GoGetter. Now how about the feeder house dust fan? The bearings are out on this and the belt was off and all plugged up. When we got unstuck is when we found the bearings where bad--dont know how long past owner left it. Is this something to fix is just leave it? I ran wheat with out it.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
So it's either normal, or it's bad, within 2 replies. Nice. Kind of turns out to be a restatement of the question that way.:confused:

If I were in your shoes and didn't know any better, I would do one of 2 things. Have it checked out or at least speak in detail with your dealer, or even someone nearby who has a similar machine, can see your hills, your ground your condition.

Or, keep a close eye on things for a while. Is it slowly getting worse, is something really hot, that sort of things. Good luck man, I wish I could help more.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
You should use the lowest gear you can in your main transmission. They have a three or four speed in them don't they? That reduces the torque going through the hydrostatic drive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
good way to test the hydro without a guage is park on a slight incline and try taking off in 3rd gear. It should try to lug the motor and take off quite easily. If it very slowly takes off with little or no engine load hydro is weak or reliefs are bad etc. forget what the spec for high forward stall psi is but 3700 comes to mind. might be higher still.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all--today I went to my JD dealer and the service advisor seems to think this is normal--he said I could get in any one on there lot and find them the same way. Also a friend had a 9500 then 9550 and now 9570 and he seems to say, that is a JD hydro! Seems strange to me--still, but will have to see what time brings--I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.