The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's our issue we are having. When we spray Round Up WeatherMax, it foams like a bit#h. Like to the point that when we spray the tank out, it is literally right full of foam, so as soon as you start filling again, it bubbles up out the top. It only does this with Weathermax. On the pump, it has a small 1/4 inch inside diameter hose that goes from the top of the pump up to the top of the tank. It is constantly circulating fluid. Am I correct in thinking this is only there to bleed out any air from the pump when it is run empty? And would this be causing the foaming issues? It looks like the same pump on our old Flexicoil pull type and it just has a bleeder crew in the same hole. Could I put a valve on this so I could close it off when I don't need it or will that cause other issues? I know it's not the water because we use the same well as others that use it and they have no problems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rinse tank valve open slightly/ cracked with no water in rinse tank causing air to be drawn in? Pump seal leaking air in? I’m spitballing but I’ve had both happen to me.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, never even thought of the rinse tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rinse tank valve open slightly/ cracked with no water in rinse tank causing air to be drawn in? Pump seal leaking air in? I’m spitballing but I’ve had both happen to me.

Yep, I’ve had the rinse valve open issue, it was operator error. Me. Transorb really foams up too.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would you know if the pump seal was leaking air in? Have had them leak before but water ran out.

·
Registered
660 Posts
So here's our issue we are having. When we spray Round Up WeatherMax, it foams like a bit#h. Like to the point that when we spray the tank out, it is literally right full of foam, so as soon as you start filling again, it bubbles up out the top. It only does this with Weathermax. On the pump, it has a small 1/4 inch inside diameter hose that goes from the top of the pump up to the top of the tank. It is constantly circulating fluid. Am I correct in thinking this is only there to bleed out any air from the pump when it is run empty? And would this be causing the foaming issues? It looks like the same pump on our old Flexicoil pull type and it just has a bleeder crew in the same hole. Could I put a valve on this so I could close it off when I don't need it or will that cause other issues? I know it's not the water because we use the same well as others that use it and they have no problems.
Mine has a shut off valve on that line up buy the tank lid. I shut it off spraying 10 gallons and open it when spraying 5 or less. Only issue I had was when spraying round up at 3 gallons, with the valve shut off, the rate would go to high when shutting off some booms. Hope that helps.
Weatherman is supposed to be a premium product but it sounds like they cheaper out on the defoamer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Previous flexicoil pt sprayer would always be wet between pump and hyd motor. If I filled sprayer without pump running it would drip out of the weep hole a little. When pump was running no leaks or anything visible so I ignored it. Later that year I fall burned some fields and let sprayer sit overnight loaded. Next morning you could see ground was wet under pump so it was leaking pretty good. Figured I should fix leak and pulled pump apart. Cereamic shaft seal was cracked. I always had foam in tank and sometimes flow meter would read erratic and would jump around a bit but I figured that’s just what it did. I even installed new flow meter a few months earlier but it didn’t change anything. After fixing it foam was gone and the flow meter was accurate and never jumped up and down like it used too.( really wondered why I didn’t fix it earlier) I figured it sucked a little air in while pumping because a new shaft seal fixed it.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got our problem solved if anyone cares! Ended up putting a valve in the line from the pump to the top of the tank. Doesn't seem to affect the pressure at all. Watched it while it was running and there was a lot of water going through this small line and coming out looking like foam. Decided to leave the valve cracked open just a hair so it just trickles out like a watering can and the bigger drops clean up what little foam does get churned up while running. Glad it was a cheap and easy fix! Now, if I could just figure out a way to fix all this wind we keep getting.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I always thought that was a pressure relief line off the pump for when the pump is pumping but you're not spraying or agitating. I'd check with your service manager first before plugging that off

·
Registered
130 Posts
I feel your pain- transorb is worse than weather max- I use halt or don’t fill the tank quite as full- if pump is on& your not spraying ( with agitator switch off- where is solution going- if that line is plugged off?) sort of wondered how that works- sometimes your system pressure will be over 100 psi & other times it might be 80psi- depending on how high you’re revving the engine- what causes that variability? Anyone ever have the switch on the joystick fail from time to time- push on it & it won’t spray- then mess with it & it works- seems to happen in situations where you’re constantly off and on in broken up little fields

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think with it being a centrifugal pump instead of a gear pump, it won't keep building pressure as no new fluid is being drawn in because it has nowhere to go. Like I said, it has the exact same style of pump on our old Flexicoil pull type and it had the all the holes plugged off an nothing returning to the tank, only had bleeder valves that we opened at the end of the year to drain it out, it never blew up on us. Not really any different than the pump for filling the sprayer, nothing bad happens when it's running and you close the valve on the sprayer. Sprayed for a bit yesterday and all day today with no issues and no more foam, none at all. I think that line is just there to bleed the air out of the pump when you run empty, I know that was real PITA on our Flexi, would cause air to get into the system then mess with the flow rate and caused premature pump seal failure. Finally got on to opening the bleeder screw any time it ran empty.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel your pain- transorb is worse than weather max- I use halt or don’t fill the tank quite as full- if pump is on& your not spraying ( with agitator switch off- where is solution going- if that line is plugged off?) sort of wondered how that works- sometimes your system pressure will be over 100 psi & other times it might be 80psi- depending on how high you’re revving the engine- what causes that variability? Anyone ever have the switch on the joystick fail from time to time- push on it & it won’t spray- then mess with it & it works- seems to happen in situations where you’re constantly off and on in broken up little fields

We had tried everything, even full jugs of Halt and other anti-foaming agents to no avail, it was bad. Ours keeps fairly even pressures, but yes, goes higher when it's revved up. Can't help you with the switch, has never done that, yet.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
A lot of it has to do with your water source. I have had guys fill their tanks where I do and they notice a huge difference in the ability to foam. I pull water from an old RM pit they pushed gravel out of 35 yrs ago. Never gets algae on it and is crystal clear. Dugout water seems to be the worst during the summer but when fall hits everyone notes that it foams less. Just a thing that us guys that have done a pile of custom spraying over the yrs have noticed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
kevlar...this is interesting because i did the exact same thing this spring for preseed. installed a ball valve at the top of the line on our 7655 (right behind the cab window) when i was using transorb. terrible foaming because of the recirc. i always kept the valve cracked open just a bit, but it worked and i didn't blow apart the pump. i even used it again in crop with liberty because that foams bad on me too

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kevlar...this is interesting because i did the exact same thing this spring for preseed. installed a ball valve at the top of the line on our 7655 (right behind the cab window) when i was using transorb. terrible foaming because of the recirc. i always kept the valve cracked open just a bit, but it worked and i didn't blow apart the pump. i even used it again in crop with liberty because that foams bad on me too

Great minds think alike!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts