The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this guy is a nice guy and always comes around in the summer to ask me about my crops and compliments me. he is 77 years old and between him and his wifes health he cant spend much time in the field. last year he called me for some help on cleaning up his prevent plant land because it was a little rough and he couldn't sit in the tractor for much time. I did and while on his porch I asked him if anyone has asked him about renting his land. he chuckled and said lots of guys have but they have enough land. guys have offered him big money to rent and he hasn't take it, its about still wanting to farm not just the money.

all fall and winter I have been muddling around about this. so last night I bucked up and called him. I asked him if I could run an idea past him. I said what if I rent your farm like a normal setup around here. except he decides what crops to plant, and if he wants to do a little field work he can use his tractor or if he wanted to he could drive mine. but if he cant finish field work he doesn't have to worry because I will be up to put the crop in. basically he still gets to farm but doesn't have to worry about the crop.
he liked it and said it sounds like a good idea but his personality he never is very decisive so I am not sure where he stands but he did say to call him back in a couple months. I am 70% sure he will take the deal but he is also the kind at the last minute he might try to do it himself.

its 130 aces roughly of real nice ground for our area. that would get me over 400 acres!!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
At least you got him thinking about you, and an exit opportunity for him while also giving him something to do that he loves in his "retirement years." Hope it works out good!

Several years ago I was in a pasture fixing fence between me and a neighbor. He stopped and asked if I would be interested in renting his pasture. I said absolutely! He said there is a catch though... I thought oh great. The catch was that I had to let him fix some fence, and I also had to let him drive through the cattle and check them out. That's a no brainer- "where do I sign!"

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
At least he is giving you a chance, most would probably just jump at the money some BTO is offering and not look back... Not going to be very long before all those guys retire and even a bunch of the BTO's will as well. If no young guys can start out in 50+ years there won't be very many farmers left running massive amounts of land that they might not even be able to handle. Either that or a few "mega corps." will take over.

One thing about some of them guys they are stubborn as all heck and want to keep going, which is good because it gives them something to do and keeps them alive. My dad is in his upper 70's now and with a bad knee realized its time to think about passing down the farm. If his health lets him he wants to keep farming for at least another five years and gradually switch more of the fields over to me. I have done much of the field work for several years now and starting to bring in new ideas and such.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
At least he is giving you a chance, most would probably just jump at the money some BTO is offering and not look back... Not going to be very long before all those guys retire and even a bunch of the BTO's will as well. If no young guys can start out in 50+ years there won't be very many farmers left running massive amounts of land that they might not even be able to handle. Either that or a few "mega corps." will take over.

One thing about some of them guys they are stubborn as all heck and want to keep going, which is good because it gives them something to do and keeps them alive. My dad is in his upper 70's now and with a bad knee realized its time to think about passing down the farm. If his health lets him he wants to keep farming for at least another five years and gradually switch more of the fields over to me. I have done much of the field work for several years now and starting to bring in new ideas and such.
If he is going to quit at 80 that means you are pushing 60. I think you should just hand it directly over to your kid and call it a career. Everybody is 20 years off.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Good for you!!! I hope it works out for you. It's nice to know there are still some nice people out there that are willing to give someone a chance to get their feet under them. I have been nice and helped many of my neighbors over the years only to have them rent or sell to someone with lots of money and not even let me know they were going to rent or sell it. I've pretty much given up any hopes of expanding in my area, everyone pretty much has their minds made up as to who will get their land when they are done, makes it tough to compete with the corporate farms and lawyers buying everything. Not to sound bitter, but I no longer help my neighbors, all they think about is themselves, sounds like your neighbor is a little nicer!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If he is going to quit at 80 that means you are pushing 60. I think you should just hand it directly over to your kid and call it a career. Everybody is 20 years off.
Not in my case, I'm the youngest of four by a long shot... just turned 30. (Today) Going to be a while before my kids are running anything on the farm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kevlar I here were u r coming from! I have spent the past 8 years helping my neighbors doing all my combining then taking my combines grain cart trucks etc over to help them well into the night for days on end. all the while my field work is not getting done. only to have them rent it out without even offering it to me. so I don't think its being bitter its just the common curiosity seems to b gone.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks.

love the guy wanting to still fix fences and check cattle.

now its wait for a month or two to call him again and hope at some point he just says yes instead of leaving everything open ended.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Hard to place a value on it

Several years ago I was in a pasture fixing fence between me and a neighbor. He stopped and asked if I would be interested in renting his pasture. I said absolutely! He said there is a catch though... I thought oh great. The catch was that I had to let him fix some fence, and I also had to let him drive through the cattle and check them out. That's a no brainer- "where do I sign!"
I am fortunate enough to rent some ground with a similar arrangement. During harvest he jumps in for a ride, while rolling up hay he'll come see how the crop is, his fences are ready and gate open for cattle in spring... my favorite is when he knows I'm busy he'll ask when he can move the herd to a fresh piece of pasture.

When I take rent over twice a year, his wife 'just happens' to have some fresh tarts or cookies out for coffee!:D

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
At least you got him thinking about you, and an exit opportunity for him while also giving him something to do that he loves in his "retirement years." Hope it works out good!

I'm trying to decide if I want to ever to get so old and bored that I make somebody "let" me fix fence. I'm leaning towards NO!;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!! Holy crap can I relate to that!
At 78 my dad still wanted to "farm". Which means my brother and I do all the work he pays his expenses and collects his checks when we haul his grain. But still wants to give orders and gets pissed off if you don't do things his way. I quit and went to work for a year. Rented my land out with an agreement I could get it back the following year. (he didn't know about that arrangement). That really made him mad. Said I would quit my job if he would rent his land to us. He didn't like it but agreed. It took 15 years of him saying one more year and I could take over for it to happen.

·
Registered
880 Posts
At 78 my dad still wanted to "farm". Which means my brother and I do all the work he pays his expenses and collects his checks when we haul his grain. But still wants to give orders and gets pissed off if you don't do things his way. I quit and went to work for a year. Rented my land out with an agreement I could get it back the following year. (he didn't know about that arrangement). That really made him mad. Said I would quit my job if he would rent his land to us. He didn't like it but agreed. It took 15 years of him saying one more year and I could take over for it to happen.
i'd say he was either dutch or scotish :p

but seriously that's a wise choice i'd done it the same way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A lot of those old Dutch farmers in West Michigan. One of the largest Farmers in this area is 83 and showing no signs of (willingly) slowing down. The majority of my nearby farmers, including my dad are in their seventies. Kind of strange to go to a meeting and be referred to as a kid when I'm in my forties.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
It sucks. And I'm a dumbass for allowing myself to be painted into the corner I am, and its to the point where for my own lifetime, I think it almost ain't worth changing. I'm coming up on 50 before you know it (about 14 months from now). For the past 12 years, it's been "going to be yours" anytime now. I had my dreams on expansion, changes, building a little money for my own retirement....Now, why take on debt that I'll be goddamn 75 when I get it paid off. At this point, I don't know if my #1 son is interested in keeping it going or not. I told him last year, he has until about age 25 to decide, five more years from now. If he wants to continue, I will do everything in the power of heart and soul to have it set up for his best interests, my own be damned, and I've promised to get the heck out of the way before he is my age. If he doesn't want it, I'll do things differently, so that I can finally get paid for all my work by closing it down. Sad but true.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Your not the only one, i just turned 48, the only reason i am farming because my dad got spinal stenosis. he is pushing 80. i was ready to walk away from ever farming since he never upgraded anything in over 30 years, and only put fertilizer down every second crop rotation of wheat, with a summer fallow in between, so that's like 4 years between a lousy 50 lbs an acre. land is so mined out weeds were getting care packages from red cross.
I told the wife that it will probably never be a money maker since i am old to pay anything off in my lifetime. but what else is there for me to do, gave so much i am basically stuck. So i am fixing up the yard and the land, consolidating the sloughs, planting fruit trees, fixing the sewer system so when i am ready to retire i will sell it as a very nice acreage for somebody else to maybe to have a life. My grandpa retired 66 so he could start farming at 26, he also won lotto 6/49 and keeps farming for himself, after i spent over half my life farming his crappy way. not so much as a thank you. And there are others in the area who totally got screwed over. i can't believe how selfish and self centered a person could be, let alone a parent.
Who knows what will be 20 years from now, we may be ahead of the game with our own piece of property, while people basically are living in cardboard boxes. Its the hand i was dealt, I don't envy the big rich farmers, they too could be slaves in a gilded cage, and maybe even more miserable.
But when i climb into my old equipment that all melts away, and i totally get into a zone with the sun and the trees, sometimes a coyote runs by recognizing the equipment that he seen over and over since he was a pup LOL. i live for harvest, swathing is the best especially, in the evening when the sun starts to set, i stop, get out, and take 5 min for myself and glad that i had that moment.
What could of or should of happened is something i have to remove my thoughts daily, i am glad just to finish off my life doing this, and not going out having a major heart attack behind a desk somewhere meaningless.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 49826 View attachment 49834 View attachment 49842

It's all good

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I for one, would never expect or tell my father when he should quit farming, (unless it is getting dangerous for all involved). I have seen it time and time again, when someone quits farming, their career, or whatever, if they are not super active in other hobbies, life seems to be really really short.

I am happy to be working with my dad (he's in his 70's) and I can only hope I get a few more years working with him (I am blessed to have a wonderful father). Life isn't about take take take, it's about give give give and if I can give my father a few more years farming and doing what he loves, then who cares if it takes another 10 years before I get a few more hundred acres. I know when he is gone, I will miss him terribly, until we meet again.

I realize not everyone has a wonderful father, but this is my situation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.