The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1988 1640 combine with a D466 engine. I posted below on Oct. 11 about my engine running up.

Anyway, the engine is smoking a bunch. I changed the fuel filters and air filters and still the engine wants to smoke like a coal fired steam engine. I think the parts inside the pump that control the high speed fuel is the problem.

What do I need to do to get the engine in time to take the pump off? And to put back on? What about air in the fuel lines going to the injectors?

I just want to get the thing to stop smoking so I can get rid of it. I only have 3 days running to finish out this year.

Thanks.

Roger

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: I have an injection pump that needs to come of

Maybe you should check if you have air in the fuel system this is what I just posted to another power problem. Just a suggestion but may help. My machine has been running up as well. Does case and duetz use Bosch injection pumps?
It has been a problem for me on my R52 gleaner for a few years only I could drive a lot longer before I noticed the power loss usually two to four hours (depending on if unloading on the go or not). Shut down for a few minutes or let the machine idle and you seem to get more power. Last year I discovered that the reason that changing the water separator filter seemed to cure the problem for a while was because I eliminated the air in the filter when I changed it. Every time I got a power loss I shut down and bled the air out of that filter and power was better. I have replaced a line and had a electric fuel transfer pump installed but I think the problem actually came from the fuel shut off tap seal. I am not familiar with the setup on case.
Good luck I am positive that this must be happening to other machines out there.
It is a little baffling when you start out at 4.5 to 5 mph and notice that after a while you are only doing 3.7 mph with the motor rpm struggling.
It seems that when I have a problem with a machine far to often I am told by the dealers "I have never heard of that happening before". Glad to see that I am not the only one to have these unusual problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts

There is one other possibility in your case. You may have a fuel restriction from the fuel tank vent or from the fuel tank screen. Try removing and cleaning both if you haven't already. Lack of fuel will cause excess smoke and lack of power.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Check that you do not have a air leak bettween the turbo outlet and the intake mainfold or the turbo is not working right, you can put a gauge on the intake mainfold to see about the turbo pressure. Is it black smoke and low horsepower or something else. Black smoke is fuel not being burned.

·
Registered
778 Posts

I'm not a red guy, but diesel engine basics are always the same. If excessive smoke is the problem, chances are it's not the injection pump. A worn out pump will not deliver enough fuel due to worn out plungers, so there won't be much smoke, just loss of power and lazy operation. If the problem is with the governor there will generally be rpm problems or erratic throttle response. Lack of fuel will cause little or no smoke. The smoke is created by the fuel therefore no fuel, no smoke. Black smoke is over fueling, or running rich. The fuel is still getting burnt, but there is too much fuel for the amount of air. If the fuel was not getting burned the smoke would be white. (Ever start an 855 Cummins in sub-freezing weather?) Very good chance you have an air problem. Be sure your filters are new or in good condition. Check the intake pipes to be sure there are no restrictions or kinks. Check the turbo vanes, both intake and exhaust side. Be sure it spins free and does not have excessive play in the shaft. As said before, check for an air leak after the turbo, as this will cause you to loose boost. You can try and check boost with a gauge, but this will be very difficult because you need to put 100% load on the engine and that can only happen when threshing a heavy crop, plus you will need someone the be in the engine compartment to read the gauge unless you run a pressure line all the way to the cab.

There is the slight possibility that your pump has gone out of time with the engine. You'll probably need the timing tools for that particular engine to verify this. Maybe get your injectors tested/replaced too. Good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts

You could also have the combine put on a dino to get the 100% load to check for this.

·
Registered
778 Posts

I've never seen or heard of a combine dynamometer, Rother. What does it look like and who makes one?

·
Registered
203 Posts

Greentech I am definately not an expert on dyno's but I believe that the one used for the combine is the same as the tractor only a special hookup (setup). As far as an engine blowing black smoke goes you have obviously never have driven a allis chalmers 7040 when the fuel filter is plugged. Tonnes of black smoke no power. I too thought air filter first and changed them. No improvement. It was the fuel filter all along. I was talking to another allis owner that had the same problem that even rebuilt the turbo before discovering that it was the fuel filter all along. Without having had this experience I would have agreed with your theory about lots of fuel if you see black smoke.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Got it fixed! Took the pump off and the guy asked me what filters did I not change. The only one that I did not change was the inner engine air filter-changed the outer and the three fuel filters. He said the inner air filter was restricting the air going into the engine (dirty).

Now I can't be 100% for sure because he did change the o rings and gaskets inside the pump. He said the governor was fine and the pump head was just slightly loose. And I did put the pump back on at 21 degrees btdc instead of 18 degrees. The guy said I could put it up to 24 degrees.

It never occurred to me to change the inner air filter. I had replaced it in July 2004. Cost me about $100 for all the filters and $265 for the pump man and two out of town trips (40 miles one way) to fix it.

Ran like a charm. Now I have one less reason to get rid of it. It's a 1988 model with 3955 hours on it.

Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Glad to hear it's fixed. Just think that plugged filters can't cause running up. Could it just have been a timing issue.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Not surpsrised to hear that. Had a Steiger Bearcat last week I went to look at with the same problem as you had. He had changed the outer air filter but not the inner. I changed it and it ran 100%.

pj, that's very interesting how that bad filter affected your Allis. With fuel flow being restricted it seems impossible to have black smoke. Must be something different about that engine the way it does that. Hmm. Learn something new every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts