The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to mention, but before '07 wheat harvest began, I installed some widgets called "Grain Grabbers" per the advise of a friend.
He, too, has a 9600 ; and we were talking how some of the new headers were "full fingered".
He told me about how these Grain Grabbers essentially made his 930R platform into a full fingered header.

I bought some, too, and was thoroughly impressed with them. My 30' platform took 10 of them (per their reccomendation). I could not believe how much better the feeding was, into the feederhouse. I always thought my header fed-in good, with the stripper bar adjusted properly, and all...but it really does much better now. They cost right at $300 for the whole set..They are installed 1/4 round apart from each other on the auger. . self-tap screws and drill bit included...
Here is the link:
http://www.reitzels.com/graingrabber.htm

They work especially well in wheat. I have not harvested milo, yet, with them on; but expect the same results. If you are in heavy wheat, you ought to try these.
Has anyone else tried them? What 'cha think?
Todd

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
anyone tried em in soybeans? we're dealing with alot of switch grass right now in our fields for some reason roundup didn't kill em and it's a pain and the slip-clutch hates us right now, lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have them on my 925, just two on the very ends. The guy I bought them from says if you can keep the ends of the head feeding the rest will go and I think he's right. We'll see how they work in beans this weekend.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I, too, put them [just] on the ends, at first...and they did help..
I went on, though, and installed the full line of them, and the extra ones are doing their job! A whole set really is worth it, to me anyway.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MasseyDane/Bo: Do they look just like the Grain Grabbers? I was wondering 'cause there are only so many ways one could make something like this...was wondering how patents could really be different from one another..??

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
thats what we're mostly concerned about...the field behind our house that was once pasture for our herefords before we sold them still has alot of switch-grass and other types of grass and the slip-clutch goes crazy on the far back 40acre section because the grass doesn't feed evenly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Js4Fn:
As far as the grass feeding goes...man, I could not tell ya'.
As far as the price goes:

Quote:They cost right at $300 for the whole set..They are installed 1/4 round apart from each other on the auger. . self-tap screws and drill bit included...
That price was for 10 of them (10 req. for 30' header). Price also includes all mounting hardware, proper-sized drill bit, and also shipping is included in that price...or it was when I bought 'em.

I do think one of the improvements between the Grain Grabber 1's and 2's is the addition of 2 more mounting screws. That, and also I think they gave the Grabber ~just a bit~ of a angle @ the end of the Grabber.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know, CaseIHFan. I have not used them in milo, yet...but they were great in wheat. If you happen upon that article, could you link it, or quote it, or something like that..?? THanks

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i went and picked up 6 of em for our 924 platform from shoup today....we put 3 on the outer most flights of the auger and wow, it feeds soybeans and grassy soybeans in like a charm.

nice reccomendation tx, and yet again reitzel brothers made something simple and effective, lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the thanks!
If they work good for you the rest of harvest, you can either:
1) Send me $50
2) Give me 99 Karma (+)

(Joking about both...save the hate mail)

Seriously, I am glad to have in-harvest feedback! They did GREAT on my wheat, and expect them to do 'bout the same in milo.

YOU ARE LUCKY!
"Just drove over to Shoup during lunch"....MUST BE NICE!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
shoup is only 30miles north of me, they just bought a large facility because of the increased demand for the parts. I was at the old facility trying to figure out why everything is locked up until i called the number for directions, lol.

We're decent friends of the family, but i think everyone who walks through the door or buys online gets the same courtesy which is nothing to complain about.

And tonight after i we moved to a new field...i realized i put the three on the right side (cab view) on the wrong way, lol...oh well, they still work good! I have 12-9-6 for the left side, and 12-3-6 for the right side....oh well, still works! might have to fill the holes in with the welder this winter and redo them, lol
oh well, lol...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*Side Note*
(I was hooking up my 930R Platform, getting ready to harvest milo...I saw the Grain Grabbers, and remembered something that might help some of you:)

For those of you that bought some of these, and have not put them on yet, I have a tip:
In the instructions, it says something on the order of , "mark all four holes, and then drill them".
For me, it was much better to mark only two holes (caddy-corner from one another), at first ; center punch them, drill them, apply Thread-Lock to two of the screws, and screw those two down.
Then, after two of the screws are installed, [THEN] drill the other two.

"Things" don't always line up, especially when one is working on a curved surface, such as the auger. By marking, puching, and drilling two...installing Grabber, then drilling the other two, a person does not run the risk of getting the marks off center. When drilling and mounting something onto a curved surface (again, auger), it is important to mark the ~center~ of the hole. With a Sharpie (this is what I used), or a Paint Pen, it is easy to mark the "side" of the hole, instead of the center...If the holes are not just right, it is hard to make the screws start !!(i.e. it was a lot easier to do two at a time!
)

I'm pretty sure the instructions made reference to the use of a center punch...if they did not, they should have..I used a spring-loaded "no hammer" center punch to initially mark the holes, then followed behind it with a center punch/hammer...

Hope this helps! When I installed mine, I did one Grabber per the instructions. After having a little bit of a hard time getting the screws to start, I changed the way I drilled them. I had no trouble @ all when I started drilling two at a time (again, caddy-corner (!)), instead of all four.

One more thing: I used ["blue grade"] Thread-Locker on all four..I put some on the threads, then dribbled a little in the hole(s). I don't suppose Thread Lock is ~required~ (?
), but it made me feel better
... Really didn't want a Grabber, or even a screw "going through the machine"
!

TC

·
Registered
85 Posts
I installed mine the same way TX Farmer did. No Problems.

I am real happy with mine, the very ends of my 925 were the problem areas. I was also told to take an angle grinder tothe flighting and square it up, as a sharp edge is more aggressive than an old rounded one.

Still hunting hard for dry beans here in Ohio. Need a frost badly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It works a lot better [by] drilling (only) two at a time, huh?

I remember when I drilled all four, on the first Grabber, it was a bugger getting the screws to start...then I thought they were gonna' strip out..(!)

2x2 works a whole heck-of-a-lot better!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts