The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at going to one big combine, looking at a 2006 8010 and a 2004 9860 sts. What do you all think.

thanks
rich

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm with 4020 on this one too. Farming equipment is as territorial as anything is nowadays.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also agree with 4020. Local support is very important. I would get the newest machine that you can afford. With one machine you can't afford any breakdowns, so the less hours and more warrenty the better.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I currently run a 2188 with standard rotor. Last year I harvested 1600 acres, this year will be 2500 acres and next 3500 - 4000 acres. I had thought of putting an AFX rotor in my 2188 and trying to go that route but knowing I will be at 3500 acres next year and perhaps the 4000, I'm looking at one big machine instead. Not enough manpower around to buy a second 2188. I also bought a 880 Brent grain cart for this year, so that will be a big boost in efficiency.

As far as dealer support, our local John Deere is really good and the guys who represent Case IH are kinda lousy, and they don't stock any 8010 parts. I can get parts overnight at worst for an 8010 from Westlock; where I have priced the 8010, and the dealer there would be very good with initial training and follow up trouble shooting over the phone.

I guess the main thing that I am looking for is what people feel has more capacity. I know the 9860 has wicked 3.3 bsh/sec unload but then the 8010 has the things like the rotor reverser. Not that I've ever plugged my current rotor,
but hired hands can be dangerous sometimes.

Wondering if anyone out there with a somewhat unbiased opinion has seen them side by side. acres to acres, sample and harvest loss.

thanks again guys
rich

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wish I could tell ya to go with the 8010, but Ive never had the luxury of driving one. I did spend 3 hours in an 9860 with a gerringhoff 16 row 22" corn head (29.5 feet corn head for those who think its bigger than a 12-30, its not).

If your not chopping stalks with the corn head, don't waste your money on an 9860, the cleaning system can't keep up in 190 bu 16% corn.................unless ya don't mind stalk chunks in your sample.

8010 shouldn't have this problem, but I wouldn't know. Lexion 575 with a 30' corn head in same corn conditions stated above, without chopping head, will perform the same capacity as an 9860, but give a better corn sample.

My 2 experienced cents

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts
mayo if your acres increase like that AND you still want just one combine maybe you should look farther. You made reference to Westlock I assume AB. You always have terrific crops there. I'm not sure either combine would fill the bill. Another 4 cents.
Green lights.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thabca, yeah we do get some monster crops here and sometimes harvest is later and tough conditions occur. Last two years have been way too easy in the fall but I am sure it won't be long before we get a cold wet fall.

What is out there that is bigger and can handle the acres. Even with a cart you don't think it would be enough?

Thanks for the reply's everyone, keep em' coming.

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts
mayo with that harvesting description and those acres maybe you should look at a Cat 590R as well. 2 more cents.(Gee with another sixteen million two hundred fifty thousand of these you'd have a combine).
Green lights.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Go with the 8010. Its a monster in fall crops compared to the 9860. We harvest a min. of 5,000 fall acres and will push the 1 million bu mark this fall with our 8010. Dealer support is important too. Also, make sure both machines have the updates. The 8010 will have less wear on everything after its all said and done. When the 9870 comes out we'll take a look at it, but even the Deere dealers will tell you their 9860 is not going to even come close to hanging with an 8010.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
If you are only looking at these two machines, it is a tuff decision. I run all Cat lexion's but have run with 9860's and 8010's on the same job, so i think i should be able to be unbiased here. I have been very surprised by the 9860, in a bad way. The samples i saw out of it were quite poor compared to other machines. Speaking to the owner of the JD he said that it was Very easy to throw grain out the back. I think that the 8010 was a much better machine (WHILE IT WAS GOING!!) it was diffinately a higher capacity machine and the sample wasbetter out of it. (of course this could all be accounted to different operators). The big thing was that the 8010 broke down a lot where as the 9860 didn't have one problem on that job.
At the end of the day, even though the 8010 was doing more than the 9860 in any given hour, the 9860 ended up doing more because it didn't really stop because of a break down. This is just what i have observed on ONE job, so i can't really comment on what would happen over a full season.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey thanks for all that. Do you know what year the 8010 was. Wondering if it was 2005 model or older and didn't have all the updates from case ih, my uncle is the salesman i am dealing with and he said that they make all the difference. Also claims that the 05-8010 and 06-8010 are virtually the same capacity wise once all updates are done.

Also, the 590r looks like an option. How do you find them for reliability and also what would you say the capacity is over the 8010.

Thanks
rich

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts
sneeky I concur with your 8010/9860 assessment re: performance.
farmboy I also agree with your statement. But based on your acreage and production figure the vast majority of your crop must be corn?
mayo probably crops wheat, barley, canola ,maybe peas? Crops that run 3+ times the MOG/GRAIN ratio. Also his area can have falls where the straw never dries. Hence my 590R suggestion.
O yeah I bet mayo and I have done something sneeky and farmboy hasn't. Are you ready? Harvest after or with SNOW. Yeah I'd bet alot.
Green lights everyone.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Snow?? Isn't snow that funny sort of white stuff?? I think i saw it on the discovery channel once!!!! Rich, i have never had anything to do with a 590R (they didn't bring them to Australia). All our harvesters are the 400 series. What I will say though, i that the lexion 480 will keep up with both the 8010 and 9860 very well, but the sample out of lexions is far superior to both. The 480's seem to power ahead of the others when condtions get a bit tough, i guess that this is the point that thabca was making. So if you can compare the 8010 and the 9860 with the 480 then a 590R should eat them for breakfast. But be warned, the lexion is a vastly different machine than the 8010 and 9860, a lot more belts and pullies and they take a bit of getting use to when setting them up. As far as reliability goes I find it a bit hard to compare the different colours. When we first got lexions they did nothing but break down, they were the worst machine on the market, but they have really got their act together. I had about a dozen break downs last season in total and they were all on the macdon fronts. I didn't have one harvester break down, which i thought was quite impressive and quite lucky. The best way to sum it up is that if I thought the 9860 or the 8010 was a better machine than the lexion i would be running them instead. The 8010 i was talking about was an early model machine. When they first came to Australia people were actually taking 8010's back to the dealer and getting their 2388's back again.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The key to a good sample in a John Deere 60 series combine is to match your ground speed with the cleaning system. If that means slowing down a little bit so be it. We could get less than 1% dock if we slowed down a little bit. 3.0 - 3.5 instead of running 4.0mph... it all depends on MOG being created when you thresh it. Any of the above combines will do a great job, it just depends on the operator to get them there. Also the clean grain system will be redone in 08 on the 9870 & 9770sts combines so if you're worried there you may want to wait another year to take a look at one or demo one this fall if you can get a hold of one.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts