The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to your forum and this is my first post. My dad and I are finally in the market for a new machine (at least new to us). It probably will be a relatively new used one. We farm around 1500 acres of corn, soys and wheat in Michigan. Almost for sure, it will be a JD or Case IH. I am leaning towards STS (even though I know very little about them) becasue in a few years I don't want a machine that I can't get parts for (walker machine). Any advice from those of you who own one? It would really be great to hear from someone who owns one of each (probably pretty rare). Like to hear any and all comments. Oh, by the way our current machine is an 860 Massey with 6000 hrs on it. Can't keep it running for anything anymore.

·
Registered
590 Posts
agb,

Welcome to the forum. After 259 views and no hits, I could not resist. I noticed you got a bite over on the IH/Case after 8 views. I am in the sort of same situation you are, acreage that borders on quantum leap in capacity or stay with a big walker. Scroll down in this Deere section to the "9500 to 9610 or sts" thread. my thoughts are there and some feedback from others, although not Michigan cornbelt. It looks like rotors are the way to go if you can handle the thin rods, thick rods, concave this, concave that, shields, covers , holes, lions, tigers and bears...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'd go with a good 9610 or 50 before going sts with the amount of acres you mention..... how tight is your harvest window and how much if each crop do you grow?

Walker parts availability is not an issue and won't be for a longgg time.

jd

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the info. I joined this forum to try to educate myself. I have not really been keeping myself up-to-date on combines and really don't know what the heck half of this stuff is. I will learn though. Just don't want to make a mistake for the type of money I'm going to have to dish out. Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing that really is tight is wheat. We raise soft white wheat and when it's ready to go, you had better be ready to sit in the seat. Corn and soys are pretty tough.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing that really is tight is wheat. We raise soft white wheat and when it's ready to go, you had better be ready to sit in the seat. Corn and soys are pretty tough.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't really answer your question. About 300 wht, 600 soys, 600 corn. Wheat usually goes 70 to 90, soys 40-70 and corn 150-210.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If wheat is above 50 bushel, a walker machine as a 9610 will not save the grain like a rotor. In soybeans, same is true, just will not handle higher volume bushels. Get you a good 9650 or 9750 price will just be around 20,000 more to go rotor. If you keep this machine as long as your Massey, it will definitely pay-off in long run.

·
Registered
321 Posts
with the acres you mentioned, a 96xx would fit well

if you've had a massey walker rig for years, then you'll like the JD machine.

if you keep your machines in top shape then it will handle your yields with minimal if any loss.

pm me if you have any questions of more help.

jd

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I have some time to look and think before I jump in. We are going to do corn and soys yet this fall and get serious after we see what sort of tax situation we are in. Have a couple of JD's eyed and three different CIH (all rotors).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts