The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my first combine.I had been looking off and on for a couple of years now.Since transporting costs are WAY outta hand,I wanted to find one close to home.We normally have a custom cutter come in and cut,but all we were paying for was convienence,it only took a day and a half to cut it all and yes that is nice,but I was getting tired of paying so much to get it done.
I bought a John Deere 8820 with a 925 rigid header on it.I figure I can harvest everything for a lot less than I can pay a cutter to do it.Sure it is gonna take 7 to 10 days to cut everything,but in the long run I think it will save us some money,not headaches:),just maybe a little more cash in our pockets at the end of the year.Plus,I just wanted a combine of my own and want to cut my own crops instead of hiring someone to do it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and no,I bought the 925 because they had it and it is a very nice header.Second,230s are tough to find it seems and if a good one comes up,I can always trade the 925 off for it.I don't have any side shots......yet.

·
Registered
886 Posts
wow, how many acres do you have that get cut by Contractors? How many Headers did they have if they could do what takes you 7 or so days in one? wow.

Btw, Nice lookin' header there, that 8820 looks like a straight old girl, hope she only gives you headaches and not migrains XD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice outfit you have there! We ran a 7720 and a 8820 for many years without problems. Consider installing a loss monitor if it doesn't already have one. Great to see someone from Amarillo, I went to Texas Tech and have gone hiking and camping in Palo Duro Canyon.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey Sam! I know it has been a while, but I logged on tonite, after harvesting some milo today...and saw the pic and description of your 'new' combine! I hope it does good for you. You will be happier in the long run by harvesting it yourself...you are very right about that! I hope all is well with ya'. Drop me a line (PM) if you get a minute.

Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.