The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased one of mike Mitchell’s ideal 9’s at rb auction to run alongside 7 New Holland’s. Our farm is all New Holland’s. I always like to throw a odd ball in to try. I’ve ran 4 different Claas combines over the last few years also. Decided I needed to try a fendt out. We are located north east of yorkton and grow good crops with tonnes of straw. We started harvesting oats last week. I do not dececate them as our oat buyer does not allow that. So Whene your straight cutting oats that weren’t sprayed the seed is close to dry and u can twist water out of the straw yet. The head I purchased for it is a FD 145. The first day we pull into field We plugged chopper 7 times in a mile or so. I was frustrated and not liking the situation. We started eyeing up everything and realized hey the problem is coming out of chopper into the spreader fins. I have a journeyman New Holland mechanic who works for us and is one of the best u can find. So the mechanic takes it back to shop spends 4 or 5 hours on it fabricating the chopper. And the fins. Took it back to field and it’s been 5 days of non stop harvesting for the fendt. I was hoping for 150 oats and there doing well over that. The straw is 4 to 5 bale an acre. The dealer told us don’t combine with knives in because you’ll have chopper plugging. We have the blades all the way in going 3.8 to 4.7 mph, Witch is 1 to 1.5 mph and 10 more feet of header then my Cr’s. We run 8.9 new Holland’s that are new every year and they are great, BUT!!! The fendt is a monster once u can dial it in. Knock on wood it’s early yet but so far it’s a great machine. We were panning them also. They were both very good whene it came to losses but the fent was a touch better. We will be sending some pics of our on the farm fabrication to some of the fendt dealers in Saskatchewan here in the coming days. Once the chopper was solved, hard not to start to like the beast. We got 55 harvesting hours on it and if it keeps on going it’s hard not to look at an ideal 10. We’ll be posting some info on here as we go on with harvest. And for colour criticizers we used to run new Case 9230’s until 5 years ago. So I’m not stuck on one colour I like to try all out. I had the x9 last year for a day and was verry impressive.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Do you have any pictures? I know that there is change up coming for the chopper this fall. We haven't had issues with our Ideal, but pretty much anything we have combined have been pretty much dead ripe over the last couple of years.

Reactions: torriem

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get pics posted within the next couple days. Just away at the moment. We were asked by some Agco dealers they want to see what is working. So now we know it works we’re making it an adjustable plate so u can adjust clearance between chopper and fins. We’ve been dealing with kmk out of Saskatchewan so far. They seem like a bunch of good respectable guys. I combine a lot of tough conditions, and whene I say tough it’ extremely tough. The updates I beleive are different deflecting plates into chopper. That’s not gonna do anything. We had 3 guys on the ground sticking heads into seives as we were combining and could see exactly what was needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our mechanic also is who runs the fendt. So he’ll be tied into the posts on here as he is the fabricater and one heck of a brainstormer. We bought the fendt knowing the problems because we both thought everything should be able to be fixed, and I didn’t like some of the reviews on a combine that’s looks so good and has lots of features. We will be on here giving goods and bads for the year. Hopefully not many bads but we’ll get them fixed up if possible.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
We haven't had the issues that Mike had with ours. Its been a good machine. We don't have the auto adjusting stuff on ours or the high end chopper.

The thing thats getting old is the updates. I think that spent more time at the dealership getting updates than it has in our shed. Its not a bad thing, if everything is done right and comes home working. I think they have done between 3-350 hours of work on every Ideal that has gone out. Lots of work, and lots of expense for AGCO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as the owners arnt paying for it and not giving much down time. U can’t beat 3 year with additional 2 year purchase warranty. I light be saying somthing else later on in the season but what I find out usually is if it’s going to break down lots it happens at the beginning of harvest the most. To get 5 days of running good usually tells somewhat of a story but knock on wood. U know more about them then I do. Whene u get it back after updates does it usually run well for the season?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Generally it has. There seems like there is always a couple of things that they come around and check once we get it home. The good thing AGCO is doing is staying on top of problems. If there is an issues anywhere they tell all the dealers what to keep an eye on.

I think we are around 225 separator hours now and we have only lost around an hour from in field brake downs. And it was a sensor that had come out of adjustment. And we had a idler fail last fall, We had a spare. Compared to the massey we had before, that machine would be down at least one day in the season. They are good machines and I look forward to hearing how you make out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Demoed a ideal 9 last year in flax. Plugged the chopper first 300 yards. Ten minutes with a zip cut and chopper problem was solved. Whoever designed the chopper has never seen tough straw. Just couldn’t get a clean sample without puking way to much flaxseed on the ground.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think this is the Agco way, they build a combine and not test it properly sell it, then update the hell out of it. They did the same thing with the 9560 masseys, good combines but not the first couple years. The amount of updates was crazy. They did the complete brake system on a 8 year old for free as a update. All the updates were free as I am sure the fendt ones will be too. Then once they got the 9560 figured out they put out the 9565 with all the updates. So I expect a Ideal 8.2 coming out that will be flawless and the originals will get there too but they will go to the dealer every year for a couple more yet for updates.
I had a dealer tell me that Agco claimed that they had a large number of combines with crazy hours on them running. He figured that was a lie by the issues they had in the first 100hrs. But who knows?
I really hope they work out, I like my dealer.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Would think the 9 and 10 are physically identical in every way except horsepower. The 8, however, is single rotor, no? So the internals, the rotor drive, and the interface between the rotor discharge and the chopper will be different. But the rest of the machine will be the same.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The 7 is the single rotor, the 8 is a twin rotor. I think there are some internal differences between the 8 and the 9 and 10. I believe the shoe is longer and the have a different cascade pan under the rotors. I think that correct. There is several different straw choppers, I think the only difference there is the number of knives and the tail board. I think the tin work is all the same.

Reactions: torriem

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
When I was at Agco getting parts earlier this season they were talking about a big push to get the chopper updates done.
Doubt Mitchell’s machines would have seen anything like 150bu+ green oat straw.
They likely wouldn’t have the chopper updates in limbo at the RB site either.
Wouldn’t be the first machine farmers didn’t have to work over to make it actually work!

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
This is sure a good news thread but begs the question, how was this missed?
2019 pre series Claas had several examples of, to be kind, how was this **** missed?!
They always claim all this testing they do while some things were totally missed. WTF?!

·
Registered
962 Posts
7 single rotor, 1287, threshing area, 2232 seperating area, total sieve 11548
8 dual rotor 2573 threshing area, 2976 separating area, total sieve area 11548
9 " 2573 " ,3720 " . " " " ,12322
10 " 2573 " " ,4464 " " , " " " ,12322

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think with the grain pans above sieves and evenly dispersing all the grain and some of the chaff on to the sieve at the very front of the separating area makes a lot of sense to me as most combines grain pan under rotors then to the sieve. Can make a more compact combine. And the narrower sieve better for canola as u have a even flow right across the width. For tough conditions seems like could use a bit more power. Fuel usage was real good as doing more acres per hour and we put 23 more litres then my new Holland’s and that was a 8 hour period the other day, and it’s hard to beat a New Holland fuel usage. Claas was real good when u figured out fuel per acre also. Im not sure what the x9 would be at but probably a lot more

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol. I knew they were his combines and didn’t scare me or my right hand man to be a bad reviewed combine. We thought they were well built with some issues being able to fix ourselves. I think to have a true review on a combine there should be some info taken from the heavy straw locations. Mike’s reviews are great and his u tube is great. But we also got to see how it performs in the north. Don’t forget guys combines aren’t made for taking light crop years in. They don’t take Prototype combines to drought stricken areas to test. So it can be more bad then good if the crop isn’t there.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts