The Combine Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
For me the comparison with the CR 8090 points towards a poorly setup concave and/ or cylinder….. the fact that speed had little influence on losses is probably due to just too much grain being left in the straw before entering the rotors…. But yes despite the length of the rotors on some of these machines it’s surprising how grain can still make it out the back. Long rotors may help but won’t make the machine fool proof.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personally believe most of the rotor loss is coming from the fact that the majority of the crops have not been dry and the straw has been tough to say the least. Trying to separate tough crops takes a little harder threshing. as the straw condition changes it changes how its fed onto canvas, auger, feeder chain and up. Have played with feeder drive speed to find the optimal feeding rate for our conditions thus far. Using a little bit more rotor rpm has helped but i find that with any excess rotor speed the straw is passing to quickly carrying some of the grain with it. I think i will be pulling every second wire in the rear concaves just to try it out. Having really impressive losses, but I think we will gain more capacity out of the combine if we can thresh a little harder and get the grain down faster.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I personally believe most of the rotor loss is coming from the fact that the majority of the crops have not been dry and the straw has been tough to say the least. Trying to separate tough crops takes a little harder threshing. as the straw condition changes it changes how its fed onto canvas, auger, feeder chain and up. Have played with feeder drive speed to find the optimal feeding rate for our conditions thus far. Using a little bit more rotor rpm has helped but i find that with any excess rotor speed the straw is passing to quickly carrying some of the grain with it. I think i will be pulling every second wire in the rear concaves just to try it out. Having really impressive losses, but I think we will gain more capacity out of the combine if we can thresh a little harder and get the grain down faster.
Very happy with 3rd and 4th row SW concaves with every second wire removed in early barley.

They have significant rotor lenght advantage over all makes but seperation area is far less aggressive by design for straw quality.
Wood Gas Composite material Metal Steel

·
Registered
13 Posts
No they were only used for barley but will try them this year.

We haven't seen any issues with chopper plugging as yet. Obviously conditions vary, only have the 56? Knife version tho perhaps more knives isn't helping the issue?
How do you typically set your chopper/chaff spreaders up? If we put the chaff through the chopper in wet conditions it did not like that at all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How do you typically set your chopper/chaff spreaders up? If we put the chaff through the chopper in wet conditions it did not like that at all.
Into the chopper, we did have a couple spinner blocks in frosted canola but that was back when the spinners had the end tip paddles removed and I think they were bypassing the exit shoot.

I leave stationary knives out for canola also

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went to go watch a local fendt demo and it spent the whole hour until I left plugged. Nice
As your listed location is southern Manitoba I would be curious where this demo was and what crop. I imagine LMS was the dealer involved. They have sold a number of Ideals and so far seem to be quite pleased with the machines. Time will tell how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rotors look like straight bar ones of a tr75 come on put it in standing green canola and it sounds like the rotors wanna try switching sides.
CJS do you run a Fendt or have just demoed? Curious on your experiences in canola? I ran the Rotors around 550-650 initially and it was quite growly. Pushing the rotor to 700-750 gave great results in feeding and its smooth in green spots.

·
Registered
118 Posts
CJS do you run a Fendt or have just demoed? Curious on your experiences in canola? I ran the Rotors around 550-650 initially and it was quite growly. Pushing the rotor to 700-750 gave great results in feeding and its smooth in green spots.
Think you'll find it's mostly feeder roller thud. Very small clearance if you look up from the stone trap.

Front feeder is running 70% rotor speed so at 550 it's very slow and can cause bridging off feeder chain because of the rpm lag which gives your belt hell. Two speed feeder house chain kit was an update for this.

Higher rotor rpm will also help fix this issue

81 - 93 of 93 Posts