The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few TR89 machines spotted for maybe replacing my TR86. One of them the owner ran a 25' 973 on soybeans and a 6 row 974 in corn. I'm running a 20' and a 6 row corn head as well. I spoke to several friends I know with TR98's and they both use 20' platforms and 6 row corn heads. But they say they need to go 5 to 5.5 MPH in corn to keep the machine full enough to work well, even in 200 bushel corn. And about 4 to 4.5 in soybeans. I run about 4 at the max in corn and about 3.6 or so in soybeans. My platform won't cut it at speeds faster than that. What is the ideal size platform for a TR89 or TR97 or 98?

·
Registered
279 Posts
We went from a TR86 to a TR97 and run a 25' 973. In wheat it is a good load on the combine but in soybeans cutting at 3mph (basically the cutting speed limit for our header in beans) the combine doesn't even have to work. For just soybeans I would definitely get 30' and wouldn't be scared to try 35' as our neighbor runs a 30' on his JD 9600 without working it to hard and he ran around 4mph. We don't grow corn so I can't help you with that, but our neighbor runs an 8 row on his TR99 no problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think for my area a 25' would be the max. We have some fields with terraces and some fields down to 6 acres and would require some transport down the road. Not any flat level fields to speak of.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We run a 25' 73c on a TR87. Flat fields, arond 50 bpa soy and 95 bpa wheat. No problems at all. I think 20' on a TR89 is too small. You have got to keep that TR filled up, and you don't want to drive too fast in soybeans. My opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.