The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are setting up a new 60' x 120' shop this fall. I am looking for general ideas to make the shop better. I am trying to decide on how to set up my bulk oil storage, metal working area, office and bathroom area, etc. Any ideas or suggestions about anything in a shop would be appreciated and pics of your shops would be helpful as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
we built a shop a few years ago, one thing i like, we had them put a red floor in, it is a red powder they troul into the cement. it makes the floor brighter a reflects light under the eguipment.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. Never heard of such a thing for a shop floor. Might have to make mine green to match the equipment. Or maybe not. Any idea on extra cost or how much work to do this?

·
Registered
839 Posts
The *Successful Farming* top shops has some great ideas. As far as bulk oil the one guy set up portable tanks with an air system so he could wheel it around the shop. Thats the way my shop will be everything on wheels roll tools/benches to the work. I am a fan of side buildings that aren't as tall for parts storage along with office and bathroom, if I am gonna have a space that is 60'x60'x18' tall I am gonna be able to use all of it for equipment.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just built a 60x120 shop last year.
We ran pex hose in the concrete for all of our air lines. We have four doors on the long side and came up in between all of them through the concrete. Keeps the walls a lot neater when you dont have to go around the doors.

We also ran a lot of our plastic conduit for electrical through the concrete and it saved us a tonne of time and money, while once again keeping the wallspace free of clutter.

We poured drill stems into the floor for vices which really give a good solid base that wont move at all.

For parts and stuff we have a mezanine which is 16'x60' and is raised 10'. Underneath that we have offices and washrooms.

You'll love the space in a shop like this, I know we do

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That pex hose is a good idea. We plan on having a mezzanine over our office, just not sure how big we'll make it yet. I know we're either gonna have two 20' doors or 25' doors with a sliding mullion in one end and then a smaller door in the side for trucks and smaller equipment.

·
Registered
96 Posts
put your office and bathroom as a lean to I have a 10x16 office/bathroom area and it takes up more space out of 48x92 than I thought that it would. also make your bathroom entrance accessible form shop area, not through office. i find that it is hard to keep the office clean, then I get distracted by the internet when walking through the office. Also don't put your air compressor on top of your office, that ends all phone conversations instantly. Research lighting very well, i have High bays (if I remember right) and after 5 years, wished I would have studied that better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts