The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had a dollar for every time I said... "boy I hope those engineers are proud of this."

Yep, heard that again today. It was raining so we were checking over the combines and doing a little maintenance on them. So we're looking at a 2208 corn head. On the back side, on the left side, the PTO has a slip clutch and a chain that drives the main auger. Both the slip clutch and chain are within a shielded space that seem to collect a ton of leaves from the corn stalks. The thing was packed pretty full of trash. If that slip clutch or chain were to ever cause a spark, things would be bad. So I've said it before, I hope those new holland engineers are proud of that one.

Anyone else routinely run into things that just don't seem right?

/Rant Off

-Lance

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
The tailings and somewhat the clean grain elevators. Where the paddle chain drives the cross auger, they cheaped out and went to side feeding the paddles. That is an engineering blunder that I'll never figure out how they let slip past the engineering societies. I understand the part about simplicity, but at the expense of efficiency and capacity?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lance,

didn't I say you sthg about this head on Thursday?!!!!!
BTW, enjoyed it very much to see ya all again!

Later

TOM

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't exactly know which ones, I was observing the carts more at the time. I know he had to get in the hopper and he didn't exactly say something about engineers, more like some other words I can't type hear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
From what I see which is very litte in THOSE engineers eyes. If they ever had to operate or work on or even check the rotor gearbox fluid level. They would think twice how they did that. But they know it all, but the peaon's that got to do it for a liv'in got to put up with their small way of thinking. Just like to tell them what I THINK, DON'T do any good. Sorry just my litte rant. Hope all's harvest is going good.

·
Registered
632 Posts
[quote author=mx270a board=Case thread=1161492042 post=1161492042]If I had a dollar for every time I said... "boy I hope those engineers are proud of this."

Yep I know what you're talkin' about there!Our version of the saying is "Some engineer must have woke up from a nightmare and grabbed a pencil and paper and wrote "it" down so he or she could patent and sell the idea"

On safety shielding I think they are overdoing it a little(a lot in some cases).These shields do hold debris and make it harder to clean and inspect the machine.I suppose the engineers walk a fine line between safety and accessability but there's nothing safe about a machine that catches fire because the shielding holds debris that would have fallen off the machine or it would have been looked at closer if not for all the work of removing too much shielding.And ALL brands are guilty of it too.And what about machine failure due to this inconvience?When we're rushed and want to get running as quickly as possible we want fast and easy accessability to the machine.End of rant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts