The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been less impressed with Invigor every year and I'm wondering if I'm alone? I feel like it's not coming out of the ground and cabbaging out as fast as it used to and I'm not sure it blooms as long as it did before? My biggest problem is my feeling that the seed consistency is not great, this year I'm convinced we either got 2 different varieties on 2 different pallets (both labeled 233) or vastly different vigor. Same crop rotation, same seeding time, fertilizer, drill, everything including the fact that the fields all touched each other and a solid 8bpa difference. Along with the yield difference there was a visible difference all summer.
What's another good variety? Straight cut is soooooo convenient, I'm not sure I want to go away from it. I wasn't a fan of 7444 when we tried a quarter numerous years ago, is it better now? What about the DeKalb SC varieties? Stacked trait varieties?
What about the guy in Sask that was selling brown bag seed comparable to 5440, is that an urban legend?
I haven't paid enough attention to new varieties and new options and I find it hard to trust the seed companies and trial reports sometimes. I find farmers opinions on the forums to be the most reliable.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have been an invigor fan since it came out. But the Invigor Rate thing really makes me mad. So this year did 1/2 my acres in Dekalb TF96SC. Had it beside invigor L233P in 2 different spots on the farm and the 96SC outyielded the L233P by 2-3 bus/ac, stood much better and combines 30% faster. Definitely will try more next year.

The L233P does have stronger pod integrity and is at least 1 day earlier maturity.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was a diehard Invigor guy too and I’m getting more disappointed with them every year. New varieties are duds. Invigor rate is a joke as it seems way too heavy. I grew a half section of Pioneer P501L this year and it was my best crop by far.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
501 is a nice variety, they will have it available next year as a straight cut, don’t know the number. It won’t be as shatter tolerant as Invigour. But still has liberty trait.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The off patent glufosinate tolerant canola is on hold for another year or so because there was a utility patent that was missed, they can't sell it yet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Always liked their varieties but stopped after the "Invigor rape" seed size program, just a price gouge move on their part. Lots of people unimpressed, hoping that extra 12% of pricing translated to less returns for them.

More lib canola to choose from every year, and the gap has narrowed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Their shatter tolerance trait is really keeping them in the game.
233's specifically is really incredible.
233 seems to have really handled our last two hot dry summers very well. It beat the new invigors very consistantly in the area.
Once the other brands catch up in the shatter tolerance, I think Invigor market share will plummet. Pioneer has some very exciting things coming through the pipeline.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We also like the looks of the dekalb tfsc96. Only problem we had with it was yield wise it was very comparable to our 233p, until we had a really bad wind storm gusts of nearly 100kmHr and we ended up losing 10-12 bu acre the pods fell off the plant where as our 233p had no issues handling the wind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pioneer's new pod shatter variety is P506ML, our local rep said he has been waiting for ten years to be able to sell a pod shatter liberty variety in hopes of competing with Invigor. I seen it in plots this august and it looked decent. We've grown lots of pioneer including 501L but seems like the neighbours with 233P are always earlier maturing with a better looking stand.

Heard from two sources that BASF is going to slowly take 233P off the market in preparation to have clubroot resistance in every variety.

Don't have a lot of Invigor experience so I can't be of much help, but it's interesting to hear about some of these issues.

Talked to some guys that have tried Proven seed and they reported early maturity, but doesn't sound like any yield records are going to be broken.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think general consensus is that Invigor was a very good seed variety but with new marketing schemes and other seed companies gaining traction maybe their day in the sun is coming to the end. Back in the 5440 days I became sold on the program, it wasn't overly expensive and it performed very well in my area. Important to canola production for me is quick emerging seed, and quick growing plants that cover the ground fast for moisture conservation and weed control. Some years flea beetles are a concern but a fast growing plant will get past them most times, another reason I liked invigor. RR always seemed slow out of the gates and a lighter stand, I'm not sure if it was the actual yield potential that was less than invigor or the slow start and environmental pressures but generally speaking RR had lower yields than invigor.
I've been through the L150 fiasco and watched them take at least 3 varieties that I really liked off the production line. We kind of let them get away with the seed size screw job and now they are taking away 233 in favor of a more expensive seed with traits I don't need.
I was curious if anyone else out there had problems with seed this year like I did, maybe it was a one off deal or maybe it was just a fluke on my farm. At any rate though I'm pretty sure I will be switching teams in 21, maybe it's time to try some RR again?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Why is everyone complaining about seed size? It was stupid expensive to seed 7.5tkw seed and by the 10ac bag is so much better

The whole reason 5440 was taken from market was blackleg resistance was gone.

Nothing touch’s Invigor pod shatter resistance except some of the newer 300 series doesn’t seem as good

·
Registered
231 Posts
If this talk of them taking away 233 actually been announced?
I have been growing ONLY invigor canola for almost 20 years.
5440 for most of that time.
I will have ZERO canola acres next year.
And if seed prices stay at this level or more likely increase I will probably not have any the year after either.
The L-150 fiasco also cost me ALOT of $ and frustration! Bayer covered some of the financial loss.
L233 has been ok but is not like the older invigor's for early emergence and vigor.
Its redeeming trait is unmatched pod integrity and easier harvestability whether swathed or straightcut.
The wind and hail this year will have many non Invigor growers switching so I doubt BASF will have to worry about much loss of seed sales.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Why is everyone complaining about seed size? It was stupid expensive to seed 7.5tkw seed and by the 10ac bag is so much better

The whole reason 5440 was taken from market was blackleg resistance was gone.
Because it's a blatant cash grab. Guys started running planters and more accurate metering to lower seed costs and they responded by selling canola seed like corn and beans. Then they get the farm media and retail agronomists everywhere pushing tkw and plants per sq/m etc you're doing it wrong vs just the usual 4.5-5lbs per acre guys had been doing for 30 years.

And yeah I'm sure 5440 lost its resistance to blackleg....and not because they couldn't justify yearly price increases for an old variety.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not impressed with the new l352c this year my pioneer rr beat it , previous years l252 beat the pioneer rr so I expected big things this year for the touted yeild bump and price over 252 and was disappointed

Also lucky and got 52 or 54 lb invigour bags this year,I'd be livid to get anything under 50lbs. It used to be well researched that smaller seed had worse vigour but a guy could stretch a 50lb bag of 4tkw a few more acres so I thought it was a fair trade.cant now when you get a 42lb bag of 4tkw . If they wanted to be fair should be no bags less than 50lbs.

On the plus side of this bag size bs pioneer now gives free seed for any seed over 5.5tkw, and they always have bigger seed to begin with it seems

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Not impressed with the new l352c this year my pioneer rr beat it , previous years l252 beat the pioneer rr so I expected big things this year for the touted yeild bump and price over 252 and was disappointed

Also lucky and got 52 or 54 lb invigour bags this year,I'd be livid to get anything under 50lbs. It used to be well researched that smaller seed had worse vigour but a guy could stretch a 50lb bag of 4tkw a few more acres so I thought it was a fair trade.cant now when you get a 42lb bag of 4tkw . If they wanted to be fair should be no bags less than 50lbs.

On the plus side of this bag size bs pioneer now gives free seed for any seed over 5.5tkw, and they always have bigger seed to begin with it seems
Our farm got A sized bags this year. The old man was really pissed when we went to pick it up 42 lbs bags. It got seeded a 2.4lbs an acre. If they had 90% seed survival on their chart 2.4 would be the the rate.

·
Registered
717 Posts
L241C is a good variety, hopefully it stays in the fold for a long time. Very consistent and has pretty good pod drop/shatter resistance even though it isn't given that trait officially. Out yielded the new LR344PC by 20%+
L255PC was a bear to thrash this year, had to tighten things up just to get the seed out of the pods, very good pod integrity (almost too much :))

All L241C next year, maybe try the Pioneer Liberty varieties.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts