The Combine Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Had LR344PC this yr..
Out of the ground fast..Then stopped growing and ended 1 week later than 7565.
It was our poorest yield.
Plots of 96sc..21sc and 7565 SxS..
96 stood the best 1 week later than 7565.
21 was the earliest, poor standability.
Yield the 7565 was 4 B/A better than the other NEW varities..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I guess it could be a John Deere/Case IH thing with these varieties, I honestly thought the invigor line was dropping the ball on my farm. At the very least I know that I'm not impressed with the fact that Invigor is the highest priced seed on the market and I'm annoyed by the sized seed bags (maybe I could get only 50lb bags if that's what I ordered?) these 2 points alone are enough to have me looking over the fence. Its sure good to hear real world experience from other farmers about actual field production results on some of these other varieties. I know plots are where it all starts but for me the proof is in the pudding, I'd rather hear from the guys that seeded a quarter or 2 and weighed it with a grain cart.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I didn't have any exactly side by side comparisons this year, but was very disappointed in how the Invigor handled the incessant rains. It used to be that was their real strong point here, was their ability to recover from maor stress. Almost seemed like the RR varieties recovered better than the Invigor this year. But there were other factors.
And the fact that the pod shatter varieties are almost unharvestable now. They won't go through the combine, tough, green, ropy, just wrap and plug, whereas the RR's sail right through at the same moisture.

·
Registered
993 Posts
With zero moisture in the ground, it’s pretty hard to consider a $70 ac seed cost expense. Even if it does snow and some rain comes, one ft of moisture isn’t going to get me too excited about growing an expensive high input crop ... regardless the variety.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have been Invigor fans from the start (Hyola days, if I'm remembering correctly). For quite a few years Invigor was the only canola we grew, 5010, 5440, L130. Stopped growing Dekalb and was only Invigor. The Pioneer started being aggressive and I wanted to get in some RR acres for weed control.

This past year I was very disappointed with Invigor. From the start, we received Series A L233P seed bags. Had no idea until it was delivered. We always grow the shortest season varieties on the market. Early season vigor, an Invigor hallmark, seemed to be missing, Pioneer 45H37 looked better from day one, not something we've ever experienced a RR looking better than an Invigor early. L233P looked like a dog all season long in comparison.

Late summer, after fungicide season I tweeted about my disappointment in Invigor. I was speculating the correlation between what I was seeing and the small seed size. It must have got the higher ups upset, because the next day I got a call from my BASF rep. He wasn't upset or worried, but it came down the pipe to him that he should make a call about it.

Then harvest came. Started with the Pioneer variety, yielded 63bpa and was decent to harvest. Moved into the L233P immediately after. We had a hell of a time trying to thresh the L233P, couldnt get our losses down below 5bpa, the pods just wouldn't thresh out. Finally talked with the Cervus combine guru and set the concave and cylinder speeds to near wheat settings and we got our losses down to acceptable (but still not great) levels. End of the day it was about 56bpa, no idea how much we dumped out the back of the combines.

Going forward, we might still grow some L230, but Pioneer is going to get more of our acres. For the L230, I will not be accepting any Series A seed, and likely not any Series B either. I think they will have to either blind side customers with the seed size they deliver (like this year) or discount the price of the smaller seed size lots to get customers to buy that seed.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I’ll take seed size A all day long. We get much better germination if it’s even just a little dry. Can’t explain why since we seed everything on TKW. But big fat seed takes way too much moisture to pop if it’s dry is my thinking.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Man I don’t know. Been shown over and over big seed has more vigor/yield potential.

My Nexera at +2$ a bushel over regular canola yielded the exact same as my liberty. The spread on that alone makes payroll this year. I though I just completely lost the touch with liberty but apparently I’m not alone.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Man I don’t know. Been shown over and over big seed has more vigor/yield potential.

My Nexera at +2$ a bushel over regular canola yielded the exact same as my liberty. The spread on that alone makes payroll this year. I though I just completely lost the touch with liberty but apparently I’m not alone.
Im not sure your comparison is apples to apples. That Nexara seed cost is a hose job and your trapped on delivery and have non pod shatter varieties. Between wind and hail in last 6 weeks here there sure was a lot of seed dropped on the ground.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Last year(2019) the guys that had nexera around here it yielded half what our invigour did. So not much nexera got put in this year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We put everything into L233P, except for 120ac of L345PC. Usually have good luck with 233, yield was good. L233P was at the high end of A (4.4 tkw) and 345 was at the high end of B (4.9 tkw). 345 definitely looked better early on, and in the end seemed to yield better, approx. +4-5 bu/ac. Our yield measurements are pretty inexact (no scales). That being said the 345 lost its legs and we spent 3 days scraping it off the ground, where the 233 managed to stand better. Fields were on the same section and got fert prescriptions using the same strategy as every other acre of canola. Not sure if anybody else saw the same thing with 345? Pod shatter on the 345 wasn't as good as the 233 either, definitely more fragile from what we could tell. Don't have much experience with other brands, but will probably start looking around.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Unlike what you seem to read in places like this I like liberty as a chemical. However, when the Pioneer 501c is over $100/bag cheaper than Invigor stuff sure do not need to pay more to use it. This was first yr with the 501 and have to say it sure seems like they making this stuff harder to thrash and moisture levels seem to hang up much higher than what thought I was used to - even in a swath. It would seem that the "sell the swather" campaign really has been developing all new varieties with this in mind.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I grew DeKalb RR canola for years, but after last years crop of SC92 I refuse to grow any ever again!! It was so good they only had it out for one year!! Told the rep that I can’t afford to be DeKalbs guinea pig anymore, tired of the low yields and green seed!!! Seems to me the RR varieties can not handle any stress!! I grew 2 invigor varieties this year and was impressed and will never go back to RR canola, 20% higher yields than I’ve had in 5 years with ZERO green seed!! I will also NEVER grow any new varieties of any make...they have to be proven performers for at least 2 years!! JMO!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I’m glad I farm where i have more choices of what crops to grow. Yes, I’ve grown lots of canola when seed costs were “reasonable” at best, now they have gotten so far out of reality, but guys continue to grow it .. I understand it. New varieties are coming on board every year at a higher cost, the end result is they aren’t preforming to meet the increase in seed cost. Isn’t it about time we took a stand and started saying no more of this. Next spring it will be year 4 of no canola, and it will continue after that. It’s only a matter of time till it’s $100/ac like soybeans, wonder how many will still be growing?

·
Super Moderator
3,534 Posts

Yes.
Rest of the field was same as strip 4, CS 2600 CRT.
The plots did not get the fungicide Miravis, there was a huge yield leap in the general field where it was sprayed.

The black circle area was done by the same combine, same cal, same operator.
But...about a week apart and while the canola was just dry the straw was both tough and uncured green where the Miravis fungicide was sprayed.
How slow was that strip you may ask?

Very.
That most easterly strip was also done by that same unit/operator and the straw had dried a bit by then.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts