The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new CR combine. Which model would you get, why would you get it and what options would you put on it? What headers and sizes would you get to go along with it.

Not that Im going to buy a combine to sit it in my front yard as much as I would like to..but I can live through all of you. Im curious to know if a 42ft honeybee or 39ft macdon is worth getting over a 36ft header. How well would the combine handle the bigger header or is a 36ftr really all you need on a say a 970? I use the 970 as the example becuase I have heard from some realatives that are considering it, they would get a better deal on the 970 just becuase they are not selling as well as the 960 or even the 940. Soo.. What is it that you would get. What if you ran in the 40,000s acers. Would you buy multiple Combines..Say 4 or 5 960s or would you get say 3 970s with 39ft headers insead of the 36ftr on a 960? Im just trying to figure out what would be a good situation to run on a big farm.

Anyway.. Let me hear it

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well a 960 has problems handling the grain when running a 12r. So i'd get a 970. 36ft macdon and 12r chopping corn head. Maybe a pick up head for doing edibles.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a 36ft on a 970? not a 39? I have yet to hear much about anything larger then the 36 being used. I know one of our neighbors back home got a new 970 witht he 42ft honeybee 1-2 years ago. Dad has yet to get me the pictures I asked him to get:) Oh well.

Comon guys..more of you have got to have some sort of opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For a normal corn/soybean farmer in my part of the world I would have a CR940. It will do basically anything the 960 will do but is cheaper. You can option it up to be the same as a 960 except for theright side rethresher. Honestly around here a 30' head can be hard to get around in some fields with. The 940 will take 30' of soybeans easily. 12 row head is not a problem for it either. Now Nathan said something about a 960 having a hard time with a 12 row head. A guy not far from me ran 12/20" on his 960. It ran at tops 70% engine load 200 bu corn as fast as he wanted to drive it. He didn't start untill it was in the mid 20% moisture range. The only trouble I have ever heard of was green material buildup on the chaffer and sieve in +30% moisture corn. Supposedly the new shaker will prevent that. Have yet to see one in the field with the newer aggressive shaker in it yet. Should be interesting to see if anyone demos one in high moisture corn.
If a guy was looking at a 940 (this year yet with Genesis engine, will be something else in 2007) put on the graintank extensions to make it the same hopper as a 960. Around here all Corn/Bean machines come with lateral tilt. They have all been order with in cab sieve adjustments and Yield Monitors. All have been RWA. If you would think about big draper heads then get the planetary final drives and the big 70mm lift cylinders.
One big thing I would want is the power adjust rear view mirrors. There are times when just pushing a knob and moving the mirror down to see the rear tire can be useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts