The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 1440 that just dont want to start. It cranks well. Ive bleed the fuel system and nothing. I dont have alot of experience with diesels. It was dads and im trying to get it back in to shape. I had it running five or six times over the winter and this spring nothing. Just wondering what my next step should be. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either didnt seem to help. Not sure of year but its has the electric head control. Post 81 I believe.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Either didnt seem to help..
HUH??? If you had a running engine and have bled the fuel system as you describe, it must at least pop a few times on ether. Only engines that wont start on ether have either had far too much ether and destroyed the engine, or have an air blockage of some sort not allowing the ether to enter the intake. IMO.

A 1440 has no turbo. The intake is very simple and direct. I dont blame you if you would rather not use starting fluid. I choose to only use it as a last resort and ONLY with fully charged batteries to crank the engine at full starter speed. Too many people have destroyed an engine, setting them back weeks and thousands of dollars mis-using a 6 dollar can of ether.

Does the fuel pump make noise when you turn the key on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never had to use either in the it always fired right up even in cold conditions. The fuel pump runs. Pushes fuel up past the 2nd filter flow didnt seem real strong though not sure how fast it should be.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check the screen that is in the fuel tank and if it does not have a screen on the elbow it probably never did the other thing to check is the fuel pump if I'm not mistaken it is a diaphragm type pump and it probably has a pin hole in it that you will never find. If you think it is the fuel pump go to Auto Zone or Napa and get a universal fuel pump and hook it up and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Does it have an electric fuel shutoff solenoid near the fuel injection pump? If that's the case you would get fuel to the pump and the engine will crank great but still won't start. Best case is its just a loose wire that got bumped. If its making some kind of smoke it should be getting something, even if its not quite enough. (One would think anyways.)

Might not hurt to look in the air filter area also just to make sure nothing built a nest inside and is blocking off the air, never had that happen on our 1460 and don't see how something could crawl in but never know.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a 1460 once that just shut off and died in the middle of the field and I believe it may have been the same switch that MNfarmer mentioned. It was on the side of the fuel pump with a single wire coming from it that broke, we soldered the wire and were back in business

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips. Ended up being a plugged ether line. Poped it off blew it out with a air hose and she fired up first crank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts