The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 1460 combine, I read through the owners manual, but I was wondering what i need to do to set it for corn? any info would be greatly appreciated. I will be using a 1063 corn head and i probably wont start harvest intill the corn gets to be 19% or less. And it has the standard rotor. thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Set the rotor speed and concave clearance to the owners manual settings. You should be using large wire concaves with every other wire out in the second and third concave position. I would also set the vanes in the rotor cage to the slow position over the separation grates. Also, make sure you have the key-stock grates in the rear separation area of the rotor. You can do a kill stall test to tweak the rotor speed and concave clearance after you get rolling. Check how the cobs look and make adjustment if they are chewed up badly. Make sure your front feeder drum stop is set to the high position or you can bend the chain bars in heavy corn. The 1460 has a kind of light feeder chain bars.

We had a new and a used 1460 and it was a great combine and was easy to set in corn if you make the above adjustments.
Our new 7010 is harder to set up for low rotor loss in corn.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here a little help also. Remember the rotor combine is like an old corn sheller. You need to keep a ground speed of about 3.5 to 4.0 MPH to keep is full to thrash all of the corn of the cob. I would suggest that you open the bottom sieve a full 5/8 inch to avoid overloading the return. Too many operators think you want to get that perfect sample on the first round and end up overloading the system and the slip clutch goes and all you can do is open the cover on the bottom of the clean elevator and there goes some corn on the ground, which is along the local road and it becomes a neighbor problem.!!! hope this helps. H

1 - 5 of 5 Posts