The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have IH1460 with a chopper. What can I do bale wheat straw behind it. This year chopped it up alot. Any hints

·
Registered
105 Posts
how are your pulleys arranged? Most of the 1400s i've seen with factory choppers do not have double pulleys so to put in on slow speed you have to switch the pulleys around on the shafts.

Also- stationary knife bar completely removed
- slotted grates instead of keystock
- rocktrap? If so try slow speed (takes a different sprocket)
- combine before or after the heat of the day when straw is tough yes there are swear words involved

If its dryland wheat I don't think there's much you can do to make good straw... Heavy irrigated wheat usually helps

Sorry if I've said things you allready knew- trying to cover all bases

·
Registered
31 Posts
We baled almost 200 acres or wheat and oat straw behind our 1440. We dont have a chopper so I cant help you on that part, but we use the slotted grates and set the vanes forward to get the straw to move through as fast as possible. We have ran the rotor with the straight bars off and on and i really saw no difference so i would leave them on. We usually go just a little tighter on the back than the book and get along fine. Good luck with it. You'll like the straw a lot better too. We are selling a lot more to landscapers because of the way it spreads. They dont have to keep shaking it to spread it. It just falls apart nice and easy.

F

·
0 Posts
Quote:
Also- stationary knife bar completely removed
- slotted grates instead of keystock
- rocktrap? If so try slow speed (takes a different sprocket)
- combine before or after the heat of the day when straw is tough yes there are swear words involved

If its dryland wheat I don't think there's much you can do to make good straw... Heavy irrigated wheat usually helps

one thing to add, when we ran a 1680 and 1682 we found that we needed to remove the v shaped deflector that is mounted directly above the paddles used for spreading. We found that this deflector would make a depression in the swath and when round baling you couldn't get the center of the bale full. Also if you hang a sheet of 12 ga steel strait down from the back of the combine it will leave the windrow much smother and a little wider and a lot easier to pick up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts