The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,this is my first post on The Combine Forum.

My Dad has a IH 715 Diesel combine,not sure what year? Late 60's,early 70's? He purchased the 715 about 3-4 years ago,this year he's having problems with the engine shutting down.

It seems like while idling or unloading grain the 715 will run just fine,but when he's combining(full throttle) the 715 will run about 300-400 yards and just die like it has run out of fuel? He'll wait a few minutes turn the ignition on and we can hear the electric pump,which is pumping really fast like it was out of fuel? Then the pump will slow down like it has refilled whatever part was starved of fuel? The 715 will start right up run another 300-400 yds and quit running again? With the same symptoms has described above.

I also need to add that Dad did replaced fuel filters this year prepping the combine for the harvest season.

Murphy WD-300LV
The original owner had a Murphy WD-300LV engine panel installed after he let the combine get hot and lost a engine head in the early 80's. This control will shut down fuel supply if loss of engine oil pressure or hot engine temp. conditions.

So we thought maybe this was the problem? Dad wired around this murphy wd-300lv engine panel and the IH 715 still has the same symptoms described above losing fuel supply while combing.

Any ideas or experience with this type of problem would be greatly appreciated,we have little experience or knowledge pertaining to diesel engines.

Thanks,
FamerKMO

Here's links of the murphy control/wiring diagrams that the original owner had installed that we thought was giving the fuel shut down problem.

WD300 Series | Murphy by Enovation Controls

http://www.fwmurphy.com/uploaded/WS-93002N.pdf

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check out the bottom of the fuel tank. Our 8820 had chaff in the tank, not only was the screen in the sediment bowl plugged, we had to pull the sediment bowl out of the tank about 3 or 4 times and let the fuel run into a pail to clear it out. Ours never died though, just powered out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Used to have a 915 that would die out. Might take a half hour. Would wait a few minutes, away it would go and then die again. Remembered a story the first owner (my uncle) told me. He spent days with the same problem. Finally drained the tank and found a blue bottle fly. I guess the fly would float to the top when the engine quit and it would take that long to get sucked back down. I drained my tank and found a big fly. I would have looked a long time for the problem if I hadn't remembered the story.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Used to have a 915 that would die out. Might take a half hour. Would wait a few minutes, away it would go and then die again. Remembered a story the first owner (my uncle) told me. He spent days with the same problem. Finally drained the tank and found a blue bottle fly. I guess the fly would float to the top when the engine quit and it would take that long to get sucked back down. I drained my tank and found a big fly. I would have looked a long time for the problem if I hadn't remembered the story.
Debugged your fuel system, huh?:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Combine repaired

Thanks so much for the replies.

Dad ended up having a mechanic repair the 715,i'm not sure what the problem was yet? Our son was hit by a intoxicated driver and have been in the hospital with him. As soon as I talk with Dad I will post what the problem was with the combine.

Thanks again,
FarmerKMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dads IH 715 Combine D301 engine has been diagnosed with a failing transfer fuel pump,now we're on the hunt for a factory transfer fuel pump or replacement.

Anyone have any ideas where we might be able to locate one of these transfer pumps?
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanted to make a final update on this problem. Dad's transfer pump came in after installation of the pump,Dad was able to get his soybeans out for the season....He's a Happy Camper :)

Again thanks for all the input.

FarmerKMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey FarmerKMO, how is your son doing? I hope he's okay.
offroadnt,
He's in a lot of pain,his left ankle was shattered in the accident. He had to under go ER surgery where they installed 6 pins in the leg,foot,and ankle(with what looks like a erector set?)to stabilize the injury until the swelling has gone down.
He was scheduled for surgery last Thur, but the ankle was still too swollen to be able to operate. We're hoping and praying the swelling will be down enough for surgery this Thur. so can start the road to recovery.

He met a intoxicated driver in a 90 degree 25 mph curve,our son went to the ditch on his side of the road where the other driver still hit him?,the other drivers estimated speed was between 50-60 mph and blew a 1.69 on the breath analyzer.

Thanks for asking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.