The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8950 with a ticking noise coming from the engine. It is more noticeable when I have the engine at an idle. It is also random, not in sync with the engine and it also doesn't speed up at the same rate as the engine speed, it just gets harder to hear since the engine is getting louder. The rhythm reminds me of the PTO clanking sound that come from these tractors. Does that sound transfer up to the front? Was also thinking it could be a the fuel cooler purging..... It is hard to tell where it is exactly coming from. It is easiest to hear it in the front grill and maybe the left side of the motor. Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Does that engine have a fluid drive fan coupler? Noise could be from there as the fan won't be going full speed if it's not warmed up. I would also check what Steelin81 has mentioned. We had an alternator that would tick occasionally because one of the cooling fins was bent just slightly and would tick on the bracket but go away went sped up, but wasn't always in time with the engine as it didn't hit every revolution, that makes a higher sounding ting. Almost certain it isn't to do with the engine itself as it doesn't correlate to the engine speed.

Sometimes taking a chunk of hose and using it like a stethescope helps to find where a noise is coming from.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I am going to take off the serpentine belt and fire it up, see if the noise goes away....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took off the belt and noise was still there. Took off the intake and found out there is a valve that hooks up to the exhaust asperator. Now I'm wondering if I can just take that valve off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 975 versatile is doing the same thing. Gets worse as the engine heats up. Checked top end of engine. All was good. Pulled all belts but the alternator and atom jet pump drive off. Used stethoscope and I'm confident the ticking isn't from the engine. It's the same as nates90 though. Random and quite noticable at an idle. The tractor has an 855 cummins in it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out there is an aspirator valve in the intake filter housing. It rattles inside. Now I'm just wondering if I can take it out without soot plugging up my air filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts