The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hope all is well. I'm looking at getting a newer to combine this winter. I currently have two mf 550's and looking to go with one combine for 500 acres. I've looked at a tr86 but the belts going all over look like a nightmare to work on. And heard they aren't great in wheat.
So I'm keeping my options open and am looking at an ih. I've been told they are very simple and a lot of the parts on the new combines can go on the old ones (down to a 1460) and out of curosity I've heard an afx rotor can fit on them too? Is this true?? And how pricey are these new rotors. Tired of working on ferguson junk. Also heard they do well in corn,beans, and wheat. I know now what the mf initals stand for now and it aint massey ferguson! Thanks in advance gentlemen and sorry if this has already been discussed.

·
Registered
913 Posts
We used to run a 1680 over about 2000 acres a year. The 1680 was and still is a great combine. It saved grain like nothing else. We had gordon bars on ours and ran a 30' 1010 and a 853 john deere 8 row on it w no weight on the back. Had to be careful to not stop too fast with that 853 though. We also had a crary extension on it. Still miss that combine, we run a 2388 now. And yes the AFX rotor will fit in them. Ran one with the AFX rotor also, seemed to do the same job ours did with the gordon bars. One thing we wished the 1680 had on it was a chopper. You can get choopers for them though. We never put corn or beans through it. Just wheat, barley, and sunflowers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Run one 1470 with 24 foot 810 head on about 700 acres. Use 3 trucks 2 IH 1600's with 16 foot beds and IH 4900 with 24 foot bed. Longest haul is about 25 miles. Cut the following crops. Wheat average 65-70 bushel, barley average 3000 lbs, peas average 1500 lbs, plus misc. crops. Usually takes 3 weeks to get it in depending on weather. Outside of the hillside specific parts which are getting hard to find, parts as a rule are not hard to get for this 1983 year model machine. Lots of aftermarket out there and seem to be just as good if not better then OEM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A 1460 in good condition could do you well. We run two of them with 20' heads in beans and and 6 row head in corn. For our conditions I prefer the 820 head to the 1020. It cuts low and feeds better than the 1020.

Very simple machines but work really well when set up and operated correctly.

Godspeed,
Trent

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply gentlemen its very much appreciated with your input...I finished with our beans last thursday and have 50 more acres of corn to do. Then hopefully we can find a nice 1460 to go with...I guess the only other question I have is about the rotor. How much is a afx rotor run? Where could you get one at? And can you stick them in a 14xx models?? I ve never heard of one being in a ih combine before and it would be nice to have one since I hear they are the best rotors on the market but If I end up with an ih combine I'm worried about how much they are. And are they worth the investment in an older combine? I paln on keeping this combine for a long long time. Thanks in advance fellas for the input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While an AFX rotor may be the cat's meow for the newer machines I think it would be a waste of money on the older models. Reason being that the limiting factor on how much you can push through a 1460 is the short screens in them. As long as the head feeds relatively evenly and the elephant ears and rasp bars are in good shape then the crop will enter evenly and the rest of the machine just does its job.

I prefer the hardened cut out rasp bars myself. There is an aftermarket version of the AFX impeller that is available for the older combines if you really have your heart set on it. But first I would use whatever machine you purchase and see how it performs before throwing more $$ at it.

Godspeed,
Trent

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can get an AFX rotor at a salvage yard probably. I put the after market head on a standard rotor on a 1990 model 1680 with the long shoe. We harvest about 1300 of small grains, 100 acres of corn and about 350 acres of milo. The after market head makes a huge difference in small grains IMO. It feeds so much better into the rotor.

I would try the after market head first and then if you really think you want an AFX rotor you might check with St. Johns Welding in St. John, KS as they do a lot of work on the CIH rotors and have one for sale usually. They also sale one of the after market heads.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The afx rotor is only worth the money in tough condition such as damp or green stem beans and then it is worth every penny. I put an exceller front end( similar to afx) on my specialty rotor in my 1660 and it is the single best thing I have ever done to it. And it was half to a third of the cost of an afx rotor. Can't tell any difference in corn, srw wheat, or milo but there is a huge difference in soybeans. Way fewer chokeups and faster groundspeed. All depends on your crops and conditions. The tougher they are, the more beneficial it is. You can get the exceller kit from stewert steel I believe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot guys for your time...great info, I really was just curious on putting an afx rotor in one simpley because if I do have to go through one and rebuild the combine if I'd be better off purchasing an afx rotor. I was just curious about them but you guys are right about the limiting factor and the amount of money I would be putting into a older machine. I mostly farm corn, beans, and a little wheat on 500 acres in sandy loam to heavy clay.
I think its pretty amazing that the basic ih combine hasn't changed much from what I understand from a 14xx all the way to an 8010 besides everything is bigger on the newer models. Thanks again gentlemen for great info as soon as I get things buttoned up here with corn and equipment serviced and put away ill be looking for one and will post some pics when I get it hopefully! Getting excited can't wait to get rid of the mf 550's! Take care.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just my opinion here but I would say go with a 1680, you're gonna pick one up at a very resonable price and its going to be newer than the 1400 series machines. You'll get alot more capacity and when I went from a 1640 to 1680 I found that the machine itself was alot easier to work on/service because of the bigger frame. I know a 1680 might seem over kill for 500 acres but give it some though because the price of them might just suit you. my 2 cents.........

·
Registered
238 Posts
My neighbour bought a new 1460 in 1987. He ran it over 3-400 acres per year and it is still going. That isn't really noteworthy. But what is noteworthy is the fact that this guy is the single worst maintenance man i know. For example, the main drive tires rotted out finally last year. The machine sat in the middle of a bean field last year for a week waiting on tires. He had years of warning on this cuz the tubes were sticking out the sidewall for years. He doesn't fix ANYTHING till it falls off or explodes. There's been a warning buzzer sounding in the cab continuously for at least 15 years now, he just ignores it. Oil Changes? What oil? I could go on..

The fact that the unit is still cutting corn, beans, and wheat is why i bought my 2166.

(the guy gets it from his dad, i recall they traded in a 915 gasser on the 1460 because it "had water in the oil" He failed to elaborate that it was rainwater, it punched a hole in the side of the block! ha)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.