The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two unrelated questions here: what color did IH use for their primer in or around 1970? I am asking this as we pulled the radiator from our 544 and ran into yellow/gold under the red paint. Two thoughts ran through my mind here: first it's just the primer, must have been a crappy job In some places. Second: could it be possible that we have a 544 demonstrator? (Dealer is long gone but the last surviving person left said they only sold one 544 and that was a demonstrator that they repainted before it left)

Second unrelated question: what's the word on the 3288, aside from a German engine and limited production. The one I'm looking at has FWA and a loader on it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Primer was yellow. Check bottom side of the hood for gold paint. Like 70s-80s car gold. Also low serial number. like 10500 or under.
Not much help on the 3288. Did have a 3488 (hydro) for a short time but completely different critter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Primer was yellow. Check bottom side of the hood for gold paint. Like 70s-80s car gold. Also low serial number. like 10500 or under.
Not much help on the 3288. Did have a 3488 (hydro) for a short time but completely different critter.
Same primer used on the 88 series tractors? If it is, this is different. Bottom has the same yellow/gold color paint. When I look up 544 demo. The color there looks similar to very close. If this is right ( https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/perspectives/columns/russ-vintage-iron/article/2017/09/26/one-mans-ih-gold-demonstrator-iron ) then it matches as the serial says early 1970. The 544s started at 12500 if I remember right. It is a hydro if I hadn't mentioned that before.

I suppose you wish you would have kept that 3488...kinda a collectors item now.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Believe it was different color yellow under the later 66s. Could be wrong....

Could be if it's a 1970 hydro. Think they only 1000 total and small amount of them gold.

Is the cast part of the dash black?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I suppose you wish you would have kept that 3488...kinda a collectors item now.
Nope. My love for old binders stoped at 66s and only have 2 of them.lol

It wasn't that long ago I got it at a sale cheap and planed on flipping it. The original owner didnt put it inside very often and just went through the hydro as it blew a line and melted. Then passed. It was pink and not much left of the cab. Painted it fixed a few leaks and put a cab kit in it. Did pretty well on it. I used it a bit in a feeder wagon and snowblower just to see if it was ok and find leakes and whatnot. I didnt mind it, but was just somthing to do that winter and make a buck if I could.

Have a 656,826,and 1026 hydros that I keep for no good reason.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe it was different color yellow under the later 66s. Could be wrong....

Could be if it's a 1970 hydro. Think they only 1000 total and small amount of them gold.

Is the cast part of the dash black?

Which cast part?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The frame if you will. The part all the tin that holds the gauges bolts to.
Ah.

Didn't know if you meant the other ones, will look.

Guess I never asked if it's a row crop or utility?
Farmall. Row crop.

Bought it "new" in '72.(with a "new" F11 loader, yet the serial number says 70...) Brought it up to a
couple neighbors and they said it did travel around a bit, only the hydro kinda killed interest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts