The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I finally pulled the trigger and got a new combine (well, new to us). A 9760 with 946 hrs on it. Also bought a 635 head. Got the large wire sieves and ordered set of small wire for wheat (not cheap). Ordered a service manual. Got any advice on anything else I might need? I'm sure I'm going to ask for some set-up help later. Been enjoying many of the old posts on STS machines. I'm learning a ton. Can anyone let me know what filler plates are used for.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you put them in and take them out as conditions change? We always start when its tough, seems like 4 or 5 days in the wheat finally gets running well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
we find that running the filler plates in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th spots on the concave works best and up where we are seem to have to leave them in all the time when doing wheat. Not sure if you would have the update or not but there is a valve under your feederhouse that controls your reverser. If there is no breather on there you may have to drill a hole and put one in or else oil will eventually fill the other side of the valve and you will lose the use of your reverser. It is not a big deal....all you have to do is drain the oil out if this happens, but putting the breather in will save some headaches during harvest.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Congrats! So I got a few recommendations for you: There is a kit for the feed house reverser valve, might even be a free PIP. Make sure you stay on top of your Deere dealer with that 635 head, they had some serious software issues this past season so hopefully you can get an updated software version (if available) Keep a couple feed accelerator belts around, not a huge deal they only take 10 min and 2 vice grips to change them once you smoke one. Otherwise good luck, the 9760s are a good combine.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
All true, my dealer quote $800 to install one plus the cost of the accelerator itself. Kinda of a pain if you trade, $1600 to take it out of the trade and then into the new machine. The 70 series don't really have feed acc problems they went to a 3 groove belt.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all who replied. I wrote down everything you guys told me. The machine is still at the dealer. They are going over it with some checklist from John Deere. Only have found oil leaking out of breather pipe on front axles due to over fill. Going to bring up kit for feeder house reverser. I'll post a couple of pictures when I get them. Brought our head home today. Not alot of fun. Big head, rough roads, lots of traffic, and one blown tire on header cart.

·
Registered
778 Posts
All true, my dealer quote $800 to install one plus the cost of the accelerator itself. Kinda of a pain if you trade, $1600 to take it out of the trade and then into the new machine. The 70 series don't really have feed acc problems they went to a 3 groove belt.

Yeah the belts don't burn easy on the 70s but I was at the dealer the other day and they were vaccuming out accelerators on '09 machines so the vibration problem is definitely still there. Seems like Deere is trying to help service departments sell labor if you have to clean them out every year.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
My congrats,i hope you will have many years with bumper crops to feed your Deere.
If you have to deal with tough conditions you should also put the speed up kit from pfparts in for the rear discharge beater,if i remember right its 360 bucks,and it helps to improve the material flow,also you should take two tines out in the rear end of the rotor(second last position) and replace them with paddles(your Deere dealer should have them,that also helps with the flow as well as grinding off the edges of the vanes in the rear transition area between the rotor and the discharge beater(Deere dealer has drawings).We did all that on our 9870 and it sure helped us to deal with one of the toughest harvests this area has ever seen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep sending me stuff like this. It took me 20 years to figure our Massey out. Know it like the back of my hand. I have to start all over again with the fine tuning part. I like to set the combine up to do a good clean job. Speed is not a real issue with me.

Thanks for all the information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use the filler plates only on hard to thrash wheat, but be prepared to swear and curse when you have to take them out, try and blow out as much chaff between them as possible, tapping them with a small hammer to help release the hooks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are filler plates something I should order right now? The machine only came with corn/soy concaves so I ordered the small wire. Didn't really know what the filler plates were so didn't even discuss it with the dealer. We are not big wheat growers but we want to ship a good sample with what we have.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There was a PIP on the high capacity feederhouse lift cylinders, also one for defeltors on either side of the front feederhouse drum that prevent material from building up and causing feeder chains to become guitar string tight and breaking.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't get why you would buy the expensive kit for the update (that is if your combine doesn't qualify for the PIP....which i could be wrong is only a fix as fail) when you can buy a cheap breather and just drill a hole in the cap and thread in a breather

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you put a breather in your reverser housing it could drain oil all out in the off season and the kit only takes 2 hours or less to install and it takes the seepage back to the resevoir, if you don't do anything sooner or later you will not be able to reverse FH and it always happens when you need it the most. Have seen it happen many times. GL Fh lift cyl pip kit is serial number and FAF it is two new cylinders with balls in the rod end of the cyls.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts