The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front tires on my old 3320 airdrill have some white showing between the raised lugs on the front implement tires. Seems the stubble stabs in the groove and peels off the very thin layer of black that is over the white cords. I have been replacing these tires every time that I see white, but the rest of the tire looks good. Tires are so expensive that I am wondering if the tires will last once the white shows up in the recessed grooves on the face of the tire? Seems to only take 1 season before the stubble causes the white to show on the tires. Should last more than 1 year, but I hate breakdowns.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If you are replacing them that often, I would keep a couple on hand as spares and see how long the tires will last. 3320 is a paralink? Would a tire going flat for bit, which is a bit unlikely if you are monitoring them anyway, hurt anything much? How many passes are likely before you notice the flat? Not that it is going to go flat, just more likely to go flat because some cords are showing. So, ya, not sure on that one. If you haven't had problems yet. Then push it a bit further and save some $. Learn something in the process.

Coming from me because I don't have enough money to live without some stress. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Had the front mains on my 5710 look like that. White and cracks showing in the grooves only rest of tire looked good. Once the first one went ended up changing all 4 within 400a.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
A couple years ago the cords started to show in the groove on the front tires of our Flexicoil drill. We just about had a flat every day. Canola stubble will pop a hole in them like nothing. By the end of the season I think at least 8 of the twelve tires were flat. We went with radial implement tires and really like them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was hoping that everyone would say, don't worry about, they will last for years. Guess I will suck it up and order some new tires. The super single thing looks interesting.

Do radial tires run flatter, so that the airdrill would have to be releveled, or is that accounted for when they make the tire?

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Was hoping that everyone would say, don't worry about, they will last for years. Guess I will suck it up and order some new tires. The super single thing looks interesting.

Do radial tires run flatter, so that the airdrill would have to be releveled, or is that accounted for when they make the tire?
On anything heavy or important I don't try to get away with tires showing issues, nothing more annoying that a flat in the field or even worse on the road, and if you can't see the wheel, been more than once I have other issues develop because of a blown tire. Like was mentioned, switching over the truck tires is a really cheap and long lasting alternative if you can match up diameters and such. I have cut out the 8 bolt centers of several old 26 inch wheel off old combines and welded them into 20 inch(same as 22.5 in tubeless) dayton truck rims. Others with lots of weight cut and drill steel plates for a more beefy wheel. And of course you can buy such rims new from different places as well.
My experience is to try to get tires with as flat of tread face as possible and don't be cheap on quality or ply rating.

And for those tires you would be taking off, you wouldn't believe what some will pay for used implement tires at auction, just saying lol.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Radials have way more floatation and keep my drill more level especially when going from soft to hard soil in the same field. It may not be a big deal for a para link. I also think they work better in the mud but have not tested them in the mud as much because it has been so dry the past few years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts