The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be importing an mt855 from the U.S. in to canada. It's being trucked to the border crossing where I'm meeting it to clear customs I hope. What paper work will I need to make this happen. I have a bill of sale with the vendors info and serial number of the tractor and my info. What else will I need ?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I hope you didn't buy it already, its much more difficult as of Oct 2/2014. You are now requires electronic export information (EEI) to be filed with U.S. government's automated export system (AES). The big problem is that the seller has to have a federal tax identification number called an EIN, if they don't have one or don't want to apply for one your SOL. Once the seller has a EIN then you can apply to the AES then you get a special number that you give to the US border when you export. Yes its retarded but what can you expect from Obama.

And there is no exemption for farm equipment.

Heres the source
Shopping for a U.S. vehicle? Beware - Winnipeg Free Press

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
WOW! Is this for everything? Even trailing implements? I had no idea about this. Used to have to give 72 hours notice on stuff with engines but this sounds like too much hassle.:( Exchange rate was pretty much ruining any deals State-side anyways....

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but everything I have found says that only self-propelled units. I live 15min from the border and have imported a lot of different things, i'm not happy about these new rules. Apparently if the US seller is willing to get the tax number its a 6 month wait!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just read the link and is sounds a lot of problems. My wife was talking to the U.S. border concerning exporting the tractor out of the U.S. she was told all they required was a bill of sale with vendor and purchaser info and proof of full payment. Nothing about what you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Just read the link and is sounds a lot of problems. My wife was talking to the U.S. border concerning exporting the tractor out of the U.S. she was told all they required was a bill of sale with vendor and purchaser info and proof of full payment. Nothing about what you mentioned.
Quick! Bring it back!!!

Best to show up on a cold night 10 minutes before the port closes, you won't even have to find the serial # to show them. Don't ask me how I know that...:D

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Also bill of sale with the serial number has to be at border 72 hrs prior to crossing so they can ensure all liens are removed etc and not stolen. Option 2 is to hire Q line or someone to haul it directly to your farm use a broker and your covered that's what I did when I imported my trailer. WIth the tractor I drove it home that's easy enough too but that was 2 years ago maybe rules changed since call border and ask the us borders have all there numbers online Canada is a PITA and doesn't

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.