The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put a crary hopper topper (90 bu) on our 1688. It had the original extensions on that we took of. It looks like a long way for the incline auger to push up the grain that extra hight. Did anybody have issues with overloading the elevator drives because of the extra hight of the hopper and the extra load on the incline that comes with that? What did you do? Does an "incline auger extension kit" exist?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We've got a Maurer extension on our 2388 and I have plugged the clean grain elevator in high yielding sorghum and corn before, but tightening the drive chain kept it from happening again. The problem we have is excessive wear on the incline auger; ours only lasted two seasons. We need a bubble-up auger to reduce the load on the incline auger, but I don't foresee getting one anytime soon.

Twice during wheat harvest this year the elevator drive chain jumped off the sprocket, not sure if that's related to the big extension or not.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Here's my helper auger. I used a right angle box from surplus center and carved out a new shaft for the elevator to drive it.

And I got tired one day of the chain jumping off so I made this little idler sprocket dohicky and it has not given any trouble since. The key os to make a plate that offsets the sprockets. If you try to use the existing slots and the sprockets are inline with each other, it will not work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Door nob, have you used the helper auger during harvest yet? If so, how did it work?

Erpelteler, we did the same on our 1688 and we had to put a few washers in the slip clutch springs. We also do not grease the slip clutch to give it more grip. We haven't had any trouble even in 28% corn. I would rather have a helper auger though, but like okpanhandle, don't see it happening.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You bet. I built it in 2007 and this is the third year of use. Works 100%. The gearbox does not get hot inside the grain, and it is on the same slip clutch as the rest of the elevator so it stops when the rest stops.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good doorknob, might go and fix myself up something like that. We usually don't combine corn that wet but it just seems to take a lot of load of the incline

1 - 6 of 6 Posts