The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a 1680 combine and were wondering how we could increase the capacity of it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here are some random ideas to increase combine capacity.

I think one of the biggest improvements Case made was coming out with the AFX rotor. This seems to take less power and runs much smoother than the old standard rotor in the 1660 and 1680. It really helps in heavy soybeans. I never did understand the old “elephant ear” design it seems you would want an auger on the front of the rotor to feed the crop in. Maybe there was a patent issue that finally ran out and then Case could finally design it correctly. If you already have a specialty rotor you could add one of those auger kits to the front. If you have the old rotor you probably need to change it out.

Clean grain capacity was always a problem for me. If you could speed up the elevator by installing a larger drive gear on it then elevator clutch and chain will run better and not slip.

Do you have a Cummins engine? You can really crank the horsepower up on this engine as indicated in other posts on this site. You may have to replace clutches and belts more often if you increase the power. If you look at the history as the engine HP went up Case went to heavier belts and finally a heavier rotor drive gear box on the 300+ HP 88 machines. I tweaked my Cummins computer in my grain truck and it was pulling a big load like a pickup truck until the whole ring gear and rear end exploded under heavy acceleration. I put a rear end with twice the rating in the truck and now it works great. If you want reliability you need to match components to power.

The cleaning system is also a limit on the 1680. I think in the 1688 they made the sieves a little longer. I always got more out of my 1660 by opening up the lower sieve and increasing the fan speed. In order to get the same pressure with wider opening you need more fan speed and more air volume. Open up the sieves until the elevator guy starts to complain. It is better than losing corn out the back end.

I put the unloading auger speed up kit on my combine and it really made a big difference.
I can always unload to the cart before I get to field end.

The round bar concaves helps in corn. I hate to see any corn coming out of the rotor and this really helped increase my MPH in 240 bushel corn. New rotor bars make a big difference in performance. The bars, concave, and vanes can wear down and limit capcity and require more horsepower.

The rotor vanes can also make a big difference. They are a big pain to change but really should be set differently in beans and corn for most capacity.

A new set of knives on my 1063 corn head seemed to take less engine power and allowed me to go faster.

Experiment! I used to love to do the stall and kill test when I was younger. I also had a moose of a helper back then that could lift out the concaves in less than 5 minutes. We played around with an old 1460 until it really ran like a clock. I new we went to far when at a combine clinic we answered a question from the crowd that the factory rep could not answer.
Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Quote: I new we went to far when at a combine clinic we answered a question from the crowd that the factory rep could not answer.

Heh, heh, heh,...next time you're at a clinic, start asking questions about small seed harvesting.............ever seen a factory clinician cry?...

The quick kill is one of my favorites. I use it every year several times. Now this coming year, I hope to have a few cameras placed inside the machine. I ordered a 7" monitor that comes with 2 cameras, and will order several more cameras that I can hook directly into a recorder. The few folks I know of that have tryed this in the past, have all complained about the light reflection making everything look like snow and made the effort of no value. So........I hope to find a different kind of light that maybe will be more indirect or something. We'll see.

As far as the thread topic goes, I cant help much in corn and beans. However, the theory I use is still somewhat applicable. Allways start at the header. The better your crop material is prepared for threshing and seperating, the easier it will be. If your header is not in the best condition and adjustment it can be in, everything you do behind the header is a bandaid. Usually an expensive bandaid. So, that's where I would prioritize my efforts and budget, is at the header first. I have no idea what to do with a corn head though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything gpmci102 had to say.

However I'm still an old-school standard rotor guy, but disrupters and notched separator bars are a must with the standard rotor, in corn & beans.

With large wire concaves in today's high yielding corn, it is a MUST to pull every-other wire. I still can't believe how many guys that still run with all their wires in, and then they wonder why they have rotor loss and high FM.

I quit going to combine clinics years ago. I'd leave there feeling dumber. Where do they find some of these "combine experts" at??

Doorknob, I've always thought the internal camera would be a great idea. Good luck, I hope you can get it to work!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
The cleaning system is also a limit on the 1680. I think in the 1688 they made the sieves a little longer.

Start of long cleaning system was at 1680 SN 47412.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts