The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I have a couple corn varities the were kind of trashy. When it was dry outside I was taking in quite a few tops with a 16-30 head on a 590r. I was losing just a little out the rotor. Mostly all off the cob loose kernals. Has anyone made or tried a disruptor in these conditions? I tried different settings and never found a sweet spot.

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
Educate a non corn guy, does playing with rotor speed have much effect on separation?
What cylinder speed do you tend to use in corn?
Rotor speed?

I've played with rotor speed in wheat and am sometimes quite surprised at the lack of effect on losses.:confused:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I've played with rotor speed in wheat and am sometimes quite surprised at the lack of effect on losses.:confused:
X2 on what appears to be via CEBIS Loss Monitor a lack of effect using rotor speed in wheat. Under 700 and it seems to struggle more. To me, when I run out of power, taking tall straw at 40 feet, rotor loss spikes. It is often reading very little, like under 1/4. What the actual grain loss is from 1/4 to full at 75% sensitivity, I do not know.

People say, make the rotor area longer, it would be easy to do. I say it has more area than any other combine, and they do almost as good.

People say, make the rotors go faster, it would separate more grain. Like you, I say that speed doesn't affect it much.

I say, in certain conditions, the rotor grates need more ripping and shredding of the MOG.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Last year in some of our crops we found increasing the rotor speed greatly reduced our loss and did not crack or do any more damage to the seed. There is a lot of clearance on the bottom of the rotor. Does anyone have any ideas what they would use for a disrupter? If you disrupt to much the power use will go up a lot. It is too bad you can not change the vanes so the material makes an extra turn or two in the rotors.

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
I'm not sure the rotors can crack any kind of grain the way they are setup and the small diameter, certainly not any cereal or canola.

Having the flexibility to separately adjust speed is pretty handy, depending on conditions I've run the rotors as slow as they'll go to as fast as they'll go in wheat while only varying cylinder speed slightly.

Wish Claas would bring the "Quality Cam" to NA like they have in Europe.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Last year I have a couple corn varities the were kind of trashy. When it was dry outside I was taking in quite a few tops with a 16-30 head on a 590r. I was losing just a little out the rotor. Mostly all off the cob loose kernals. Has anyone made or tried a disruptor in these conditions? I tried different settings and never found a sweet spot.
Do you have trash hair pinning on the main concave forcing the rotors to have more grain to deal with?

If it is all in the rotors corn can be a weird animal lol. Sometimes you need more rpm to create force to throw the kernels out of the mog.

Sometimes you need less rpm to give the kernels more time to get out...

I normally end up running my rotors slow in corn under most conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.