The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the pros and cons for side chutes to fill air drill out of grain trailer vs augers. They look kinda smart but want to hear from users.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
If you use the side chutes you end up with ~50 bu of grain left in the bottom and it won't run out. It's only a PITA when you want to switch to something else in that hopper.
If you have augers mounted underneath then you don't need to move the truck or auger. With side chutes you still need to move the truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only ones I used were my neighbours, he bought a Neville built and I could see them being handy for seeding, however this one in particular was a bit low for a swing auger and the side chute doors only emptied about 70% of the trailer. So total clean out is a pain. Done right I think they would be handy, the augers work very nice as well though and are fast and fairly easy to swap on and off once they have been mounted the first time. In limited experience I'd go with augers, but other brands may be sloped better for total clean out in which case side chutes should be an easy cheaper way to go.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have side chutes on a Timptie they work not too bad but as the rest said it will never empty the hopper. I use my tridem for 46-0-0 in the first two hoppers and phos in the back so I don't empty it right out till im done seeding. If I was to get another trailer I would put them on.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I also have them, leaves about 80 bu per hopper, I keep my seed row fert in the front and my seed in the back, so the front only gets cleaned out at the end of seeding the back, I almost need another guy to help fill. I wouldn't spend the money on under the truck augers, shovelling out the trailer 4 or 5 times at seeding seems like less of a PITA than mounting and in mounting augers under the trailer.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money on under the truck augers, shoveling out the trailer 4 or 5 times at seeding seems like less of a PITA than mounting and in mounting augers under the trailer.
My thoughts exactly. Unless you are running low or switching product, I don't clean out the hoppers. Just pour the new load on top of it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Unless your buying a used trailer with side chutes already on I would recommend buying Micheal's augers instead. Easy to put on and to take off.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
I should have included my experience with Michel's augers in my first post.:eek:

I had steel and then aluminum ones....get aluminum! Once they have been installed they are not hard to take on and off in the least, storing them is the biggest pain. What is really nice is that you can see the spouts in your rear-view and quickly pull up to air-seeder auger first time and do it from one spot, big time saver there! With the remote they can be controlled from top of tank to save even more time.:)

I would pick augers over chutes any day but they aren't cheap. I now have a deluxe auger on my BG tank and find that to be the best solution because I can dump from any trailer and no modification needed to trailer or wet-kit required.;)

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
Deluxe auger had hydrolic hook ups?
No, straight out of bottom of the trailer into the deluxe auger.;)

It is a 12" deluxe auger so even 10" hopper augers might have a hard time keeping up to it??? Although 8" hopper augers kept up to my 10" auger on the CNH cart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts