The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 2.5 inches of rain last week and it has not been cold enough to freeze the ground. Moving an auger yesterday and what do I see, some moron had drove around one field leaving 3 inch ruts.
How ****ing stupid can you be? Just love this time of year

Rant off

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I post my land. If you post your land you can charge idiots.

A "hunter" who does not ask permission is not a hunter at all. They are poachers.

I hunt, I love hunting. But I know what you are saying. Wait till the snow comes. Everyone thinks the land under the snow is all theirs to tear around on with snow machines. Not that that wrecks anything, but it is a complete lack of respect to us land owners.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I totally agree! Some guys have no respect for the land owners, we had one of our cows shoot last week. How the **** can you call yourself a hunter if you can't tell the difference between a black cow and a deer or maybe they thought it was a moose either way its complete bullshit. Fish and Feathers didn't give a **** and RCMP said they would come and look but unless we have caught someone in the act they can't do anything.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wow

I totally agree! Some guys have no respect for the land owners, we had one of our cows shoot last week. How the **** can you call yourself a hunter if you can't tell the difference between a black cow and a deer or maybe they thought it was a moose either way its complete bullshit. Fish and Feathers didn't give a **** and RCMP said they would come and look but unless we have caught someone in the act they can't do anything.
That's surprising, might as well get rid of the RCMP, they can't solve a crime unless you do it for them, you should have reported that the person who shot the cow was drinking and driving, I hear that's the only way to get them out of Tim's.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
Even just a short crossing on a neighbor's field sometimes it's just a lot handier to go on theirs or visa versa.
You know you'll say go ahead and you know they'll say go ahead but it's just common courtesy.
Not something some are familiar with.:(

·
Registered
395 Posts
On Gov't land it is law to hunt on foot or stay on the trails. Should be the same for private land. Game wardens enforce rues on gov't land they should on private also. They are the ones collecting any money from hunting.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
This fall I get a call from a friend and neighbor who has some land beside ours, and then also a crown lease his dad has fenced off ON a hill top ridge for miles with mostly solid bush. He saw a truck sitting right in the middle of our half section which boarders his dad lease and saw them walking north to the lease and wondered if we had given permission to anyone for our land and I said only to one person who will be bow hunting and that we'd given strict orders for him to not drive on our land and to hunt in two specific bush areas also on our land and that was the only person. So I said go for it, see who it is ... and I then talked with him a few days later and he said the hunters in question turned out to be very local and I know them ... but he wouldn't tell me who it was just for the possible awkward situation. Never the less he told them to take a hike as he knew they had no permission to be on our land and it was easy to see they were going to go onto his dads land as well. This is a case of assuming permission because "were local" .

There must have been calls made into Fish and Wildlife as they were patrolling that road and stopping vehicles to see if they had an illegal animal in the back, this friend had seen him sitting there ten at night waiting to come out from a side road and flip on his lights to pull vehicles over. Another neighbor also with land up there found a smaller dead elk ( shot of course ) and not touched/cut up at all and his thought was that it probably wasn't "tag worthy" so whoever shot it just left it lay to look to shoot a larger one.

We had a good shot of rain this fall after we were thankfully done harvest and of course some idiots go on these side roads that have hardly any gravel on them and messed them all up with ruts, roads that get graded once a year if that. Then we had to go on that crap to access fields to NH3 this fall after they dried up. Local people who half half a brain know well enough to stay off those roads until they dry up ... not the hunters from town though as they will just plow through anything and could easily unload their own quad and stay on the grass edge and do no harm. Of course these are the hunters that have no permission in the first place ....

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have been calling for hunting on foot only in Saskatchewan for years. Trouble is, I think the hunting population would crash because most guys are far too lazy to get off their arses and walk.

Most "hunters" do not have a clue about the game they are chasing in their trucks. The true hunters, the ones on foot and learning their prey and enjoying it, are getting few and far between.

I have had too many hunts to remember ruined, where I have had guys drive into my chosen spot with their trucks, just at dusk when the action is about to begin.

LAZY.

Hunting should be on foot, not on your butt.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes, you stated exactly what I see so often although certainly there are those that actually get out there on foot and do it what I think of as the proper way. So most of the time I see these vehicles puttering up and down every side road to see what they can get from the road and I call that arm chair hunting, they have no intentions of getting out of their vehicle until there is an animal they can shoot by resting their gun over the hood of their pickup ... then drive on the field they had no permission to hunt on to retrieve it.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I hear that's the only way to get them out of Tim's.
This is a Tim Horton's story that I swear is true, it happened about a year ago.

I had a relative that was freeloading on some farm property that caused me a lot of trouble when it became obvious she had to move on. As a result of her complaint, I was scheduled for fingerprinting at 9:00 am at one of the local RCMP detachments. I was quite eager to get this done at 9:00 sharp, mainly to inform them that anything they will ever handle with my finger prints on it, will also have my signature on it, and be informing them of the errors they've made in operating this detachment.

We arrive at the door at 9:00 and wait until about 9:15, there's not a soul around and no one shows up. Annoyed that this is further ruining my day, I call the alternate number on the sign beside the door. I then speak to a nice lady from parts unknown, and explaian that, "I urgentlly want to be fingerprinted!" She tells me that the officers are on a call and should arrive in about twenty minutes.

Sure enough two or three cruisers roll up, with four officers in them. There are also four women in the cars.

At this point, I'm not sure what this female conflict is all about, but it looks like it could get interesting.

As we all get out of our vehicles at about the same time, I explain to the nearest officer to me, what I'm there for, but I say, "I can see you all have your hands full, so I could wait in the parking lot, or return later."

Just as he was answering "no come right in", I notice that he is holding a Tim Horton's cup and so is everyone else wearing stripes on their pants.

No biggie, I figured they deserved the comment even if it was unintentional. Thankfully I shut my mouth as we all proceeded inside and the ladies took seats at their desks !

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'll put up with lots. Some farmers are just as bad as the hunters. Some guys find enjoyment in making ruts in every Rm dirt trail after a 3in rain and then complain about road maintenance

And if you leave guys to hunt at least there doing something to control all these 4 legged critters eating hay and ripping grain bags. The conservation officers have no idea how out of control the deer, moose and elk population is in places.

·
Registered
377 Posts
They are useful, don't get us wrong. When they rip the heck out of things is when the trouble starts.
In Australia there always seems to be some farmers complaining about hunters coming onto their place without permission cutting fences, pinching fuel, etc. It always seems to be the ones who never allow hunters onto their places. Places who have hunters on dont seem to have trouble as poachers dont want to meet anyone who will report and identify them.

I laugh when I hear about people I know who wont allow hunters, complaining about the number of deer or pigs on their place.

·
Registered
169 Posts
got tired of disrespectful hunters on our land 3 yrs ago, now every acre is posted hunting with permission only with my cell number, dnr was informed and 3 guys have lost hunting privileges and been charged so far, one was a neighbor 5 miles from us who was too lazy to ask for permission...don't give up on protecting your property, hunting on private land is a privilege not a right!

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's surprising, might as well get rid of the RCMP, they can't solve a crime unless you do it for them, you should have reported that the person who shot the cow was drinking and driving, I hear that's the only way to get them out of Tim's.
I can understand that you would be a little pissed about your cow being shot but I don't know what can be done without someone being caught in the act. It's unfortunate that "fish and feathers" as you call it don't care. What they should be doing is ramping up patrols in your area and stopping and checking more hunters preventing this from happening. But if your area is anything like mine, the CO's have a huge area because there are less and less of them due to a lack of funding.

And mixtupfarmer, what do you expect of the RCMP in this case? They aren't going to start skinning and gutting the cow to find the bullet or what's left of the bullet. Even if that was the case, and the bullet isn't fragmented into dozens of pieces; then the bullet gets sent for analysis and the type of gun is now known. Now everyone with that caliber gun is now a suspect? That's just not going to happen. In dreamy land maybe.

As a hunter and farmer I can relate to everything on this thread. I post some of my land for the fact that I can hunt with my family and not worry about someone screwing up our hunt. And I have had people not pay attention to the signs at all. Does it piss me off? Yup. But I realize that there are bone heads that just don't care and that's not going to change. I don't think there is a solution for stupidity.

And don't get me started with the Indians hunting all over the place and killing everything in sight a couple of weeks before hunting season opens!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.