The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this, in a WP article, and as a mechanical designer i thought i would share it. It is stuff like this that makes my day when somebody comes up with a good idea that is simple bullet proof and just cool.
i just love seeing innovation, i am always on the prowl my things i can do. What do you think about this guy?

https://www.producer.com/2019/05/farmer-develops-new-fast-connection-with-his-sprayer/?utm_source=Western+Producer&utm_campaign=2b170bf5f4-Producer+Daily+-+2019-05-27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a5b062b4c9-2b170bf5f4-87668341

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Wait, your supposed to chain the sprayer down???? :22:

Only thing is his high clearance now less clearance??????

I sprayed canola last year that just fit under the front axle.

·
Registered
956 Posts
““I’m not 100 percent sure it’s (department of transportation) approved, but the way I look at it is, well what’s holding a 80,000 pound transport trailer full of grain? It’s the exact same thing and I’m only 10 tonnes, so 20,000 lb.,” Schuurmans said.”

That’s a logic which is unlikely to hold up if challenged in court...

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
You don't secure your loads on the road?
We don’t haul our sprayer around mostly for that reason. By the time we would be rigged I’m half way to the next field. We’re really spread out though and sometimes there’s s nasty move across the whole farm vs just to the next field. So we’re looking at trailers.

·
Registered
880 Posts
that's actually a neat idea but i'm pretty sure on top of a deck it needs to be tied down because it can move in the back as wheel will follow and this could slide sideways, but don't quote me on it.
on a side note why not pull a pull type sprayer behind that fendt with 133ft boom and 1600 gallon tank, you be running circles around that deere

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I'm not driving my sprayer into a fire, thanks. We do have a fire nozzle that we can hook to our water trailer.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I'd like to know what your insurance company would think if you burned up your $400,000 sprayer fighting a fire.

Just tell them you were using some really potent chemicals and it smoked everything, including the sprayer!

Reactions: tswanson

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seems like 15 years ago there were more articles in farm publications and the prairie farm report with inventions and innovations which at the time were nifty and cutting edge. Today I don’t know whether it’s age, experience, or cynicism that I look back at this stuff and laugh at the impracticality and obsolescence. I don’t like knocking ideas because someone’s “good idea” maybe crap but someone else will see it and improve it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Today I don’t know whether it’s age, experience, or cynicism that I look back at this stuff and laugh at the impracticality and obsolescence.
All three. I feel the same, but always have to remember to take the time and think about the idea. Sometimes the greenhorn has a great idea.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unless the fire is heading to your yard and home, and your wife is looking at you with absolute terror in losing everything. That piece of steel is just that, when faced with desperation.
My dad would loose his sh!t over the stupidest littlest things on the yard over his family, i swear he would throw me under a wheel for better traction to get a $200 truck out of a ditch. I would never choose steel over health and happiness, or family. f#ck the insurance company.
Besides a sprayer is way more nimble that a tractor with a cultivator (who has one anymore) anyday.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Standard fire insurance would only cover it if you were actively fighting a fire on your own property, same as with a Cat or any other machine. Cross the property line on to the neighbors or road allowance and insurance is null and void when fires are involved that you intentionally drove into or are working close to. Of course that don't mean that one don't just go ahead and do it anyway under some circumstances, but you better hope to helll you don't suffer a crippling breakdown, cause that could get extremely expensive fast. The part that always pisses me right off, is even if you are trying to head off the fire before it gets on your property, once off your own land, you have no insurance, to me that is just plain dumb.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Besides a sprayer is way more nimble that a tractor with a cultivator (who has one anymore) anyday.

Only if the fire is contained to a burning barrel. Not much good if a mile wide fire is headed towards you, at least a tractor and cultivator can help contain that. Only upside to a sprayer is it's a lot faster if you need to get the he11 out of Dodge!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Standard fire insurance would only cover it if you were actively fighting a fire on your own property, same as with a Cat or any other machine. Cross the property line on to the neighbors or road allowance and insurance is null and void when fires are involved that you intentionally drove into or are working close to. Of course that don't mean that one don't just go ahead and do it anyway under some circumstances, but you better hope to helll you don't suffer a crippling breakdown, cause that could get extremely expensive fast. The part that always pisses me right off, is even if you are trying to head off the fire before it gets on your property, once off your own land, you have no insurance, to me that is just plain dumb.
Two tractors fighting fire 2 falls ago hit each other head on in the smoke at a neighbour's fire. MFWD and 4WD. The smaller one had a loader which punched in the hood and hydraulic cooler which started spraying oil all over the 4WD. It caught and burnt tires, front end, hood, before it got put out with a water truck which wasn't too far away.

Damage was covered by insurance with about 100k damage. I was told insurance had a Good Samaritan type clause. Might be something worth looking into a little further.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts