The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have ordered the fold out rear window kit for my 21'series combine. See that with the kit, you need to replace the entire upholstery that is acrossed the back. Feels like the foam is glued to a plastic panel and was wondering how it is attached to the rear cab wall? Can anyone that has done this, tell me what I'm getting into?
I want a nice neat job and a way to have CLEAN windows in the bin and back of the cab. As most of you know that don't have the folding window, it's near impossible to clean the glass.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you with this. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind taking some pictures of the process? It might make a nice how-to guide for anyone doing this in the future.

-Lance

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lance....I will try to get some pictures when I do it......might be a while as the combine is in the far corner of the shed and it's like an ice box in there right now. Will eventually need to move up on the front row to put this window in and put my Maurer extenstion on and put on 4 brand new tires.....getting rid of my 4 "Good for a year" POS's
Larry

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lance, finally finished up on the "rear window" kit installation......sorry, didn't get any pictures but can tell you, it's a PITA! First, the instruction sheet is about worthless. Next, you have to completely "gut" the cab out......front headliner, control panel and top headliner have to be removed. When you are doing this, you have wires hanging everywhere so they need to be marked. Next you remove the rear cab wall upholstry. After you've done this, the next order of business is try to get the gluded in window out......the rubber cement they use at the factory is VERY good! I tried to cut the cement to loosen the window but didn't have enought patience so used the hammer and it came out in 40 million piece's Be sure to tape the window off before you strike it as it makes an awful mess!(I have a shop vac full of glass) LOL! Next you use a putty knife and clean the rubber cement off the cab wall and then here's the real stickler, if you have a 95' model(my luck), you have to lay out 10 holes in a pattern around the window opening that secures the new tilt in window frame. These are measured from a start point in silly millimeters, as in like Ex: 206.9mm.......not the good old american way as in Ex: 5 3/16inches. Anyway, these holes are a very critical part of mounting the window frame and so I have a friend who is a machinist and he came over with his special tools and "laid it out for me" Will mention that if a machine is 96' model, the holes are already pre-drilled. After the window and frame is installed, it's prettty much a reverse order thing. It will take 2 people to re-install the main headliner, not heavy but just real awkward! Then, if you havn't marked your wires that go to the control panel, you hope you can remember what set of wires go to what switch! Obviouse I didn't because I had the light switch running the flashers..LOL, no big deal, just switched them around untill I found the right one. Get this all done, put the front headliner in and you are "good to go"

This kit installed will make the cleaning of the rear windows a breeze now as you all know with the 97' and newer models. Can't wait to look through my clean windows at that $12 wheat, $14 soybeans and $5 Milo filling the bin!
Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts