The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last June had a tree get blown over and ended up landing on the tank of my Willmar 750. Completely split the tank open. It was a 600 gal tank off a 760. Put it through insurance. Pointed out to the appraiser that it had a 600 gal tank. He made sure to put that on the work order at the local AGCO dealer. Phoned the dealer after a couple weeks to see how they were making out and they had a tank on its way. A couple more weeks and apparently there was some issues with that batch of tanks and had to wait for new ones to be made. I had already burned up my loss of use by now. Thank goodness I didn't need to do fungicide because we were very dry in August and September. I even paid for them to winterize it in October.

Finally get my sprayer back in November and they put a 500 gal tank on as apparently the 600 gal was no longer available. No phone call to check my thoughts on this or look at different options. Phoned another dealer and the 600 gal tank is still available. More than a little upset by this time. Phoned my agent and she checks into it.

Now the dealer says that the tank exceeds the machines capacity and could be a liability issue. I feel that they are taking this stance as otherwise they will end up owning the 500 gal tank if I push the issue. They are shipped without holes and they are drilled to match the machine. Insurance is saying I can either have the 500 gal tank and everything will be fine. Or I can have the 600 gal tank but they will not even offer liability insurance on it.

I'm sure if there was an issue with the 600 gal tank it would have shown up in the 2500 hrs I've put on it. The 600 gal tank was on the machine for several years when I bought it. The machine has almost 7000 hrs now.

I realize the insurance co. is trying to limit their exposure to risk but if I extrapolate the insurance co position there should be no coverage for anyone with a hopper extension on their combine, bigger spray tank or booms on their sprayer, lift kit or oversize wheels on a pickup, etc.

Been with this outfit about 20 years and had other claims but everything went smooth. This all seems a little over the top to me. Anyone else been through this?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
I would tell them to put on the 600 gallon tank and find a new insurance company for a few years. Ask them to define what kind of liability are they talking about or they are removing? Does the liability they are removing actually involve the tank size?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
I have no doubt it's the dealer that's pushing the issue. Otherwise they're out ~$4k since I haven't seen one of these machines here since the "Wheat Pool" used them.
I think I know what dealer you're talking about here, and if it's still being run as it was years back, I would agree, therein lies your problem:(

With that said, there is a change these days regarding liability and changes to vehicles and such different than original specs. A perfect example, try getting a brand name main stream tire shop to put out of spec sized tires on something like an SUV. Aint gonna happen. My brother even run into it at Costco over the difference of putting on 265s when the stick said 245s on a 2500 Chevy. They refused. So he took his new Michilen tires loose, and had them mounted locally. Times have changed.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would tell them to put on the 600 gallon tank and find a new insurance company for a few years. Ask them to define what kind of liability are they talking about or they are removing? Does the liability they are removing actually involve the tank size?
The agent was hinting at no liability in the case of a wheel coming off on the highway etc. Trouble is she has no farm background and been dealing with us for about five years. We were one of her first clients and as of last year her largest. She looked after us good at first. She's way busier now and doesn't do as much for looking after us.

The thing that gets to me is this claim is only a fraction of the premium we pay.

We were contemplating switching a couple years ago. My brother switched his house ins. To test the waters and long story short the new outfit told him everything was good after he filled out the house questionnaire. He was with them a couple months and when they got around to underwriting his policy they said they would only cover the house if he had a double wall tank professionally installed and an annual furnace inspection. Told them to stuff it. When he went back to the original outfit they said it was a "new" policy and would have to meet the same standards as the outfit he switched to. Ended up being as cost effective to put in gas and a new furnace.

It was one situation that the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I know what dealer you're talking about here, and if it's still being run as it was years back, I would agree, therein lies your problem:(
I should know better than to think a tiger can change its stripes. They had a complete change of management, almost all new parts people, and even a new name, and a good review from a neighbour who has most of his work done there. But I guess some things never change. We haven't sent a unit to a shop in probably 20+ years. Thought this would be a good way to try them out. The bolts that tighten the tank hold down straps weren't even tight. The straps flap in a slight breeze. And seen a couple hose clamps that were loose just with my eyes. Haven't even pressured it up yet. Even without the tank fiasco I will not darken their doorstep again.

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
Even without the tank fiasco I will not darken their doorstep again.
About 25 years ago I got into an argument with a video store owner about a late video rental return, I ended up paying but promised myself I never darken the door again.
Kept up my end of the promise.
And he's dead now.

Oddly, my life policy is the opposite, I try not to burn any bridges.:)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
We haven't sent a unit to a shop in probably 20+ years.

Maybe what you said is the answer, just from a different point of view.;) The 600 gallon tank is important ,so get the tank from insurance and install it yourself. Under the circumstances it has become a no win situation for you but what is the lesser of two evils? I have learned over the last 43 years of farming that if you want it done right, then do it yourself!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Pretty simple. Obviously you feel the 600 tank is important. You actually never had liability insurance before since you modified the sprayer but you didnt know it.

We do this all the time. Delete emissions- void warranty- who cares its worth it.
Add duals to your sprayer- same deal.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward getting the 600 tank. Any good recommendations for another insurance co. to deal with incase I go that route. I'm with wawanesa and until this I was fairly happy. Well as happy as one can be with insurance. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward getting the 600 tank. Any good recommendations for another insurance co. to deal with incase I go that route. I'm with wawanesa and until this I was fairly happy. Well as happy as one can be with insurance. :rolleyes:

Thanks.
Western Financial. But you likely should understand that it wont make any difference. If it breaks due to the bigger tank, no coverage. Thats fair.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
About 25 years ago I got into an argument with a video store owner about a late video rental return, I ended up paying but promised myself I never darken the door again.
Kept up my end of the promise.
And he's dead now.

Oddly, my life policy is the opposite, I try not to burn any bridges.:)
No big deal burning a bridge with the video rental guy anyways, nobody rents videos anymore...:p

The 600 gallon tank is important ,so get the tank from insurance and install it yourself........ if you want it done right, then do it yourself!
This can be a very good option too. One time we had a combine rotor come apart and wreck a bunch of stuff(older machine). There was a rain delay and we did the work ourselves with some parts from a wrecker and even did some modifications at the same time. I'll bet it cost half what it would have in a company shop and we did it quicker! Insurance company paid us very well for our trouble.:) Not sure if this sort of thing still happens as this was about 15 years ago, but it was Wawanesa who we were dealing with.;)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Try the Co-operators. Wawanesa lost a vehicle and farm policy due to not being able to insure a farm plated tandem grain truck as farm use. Could only insure under commercial plates, same with a 1978 3ton. Switched and havnt looked backed, The Co-operators rates were close to the same but had better coverage and the agency I deal with has farm background and the owner still farms.

Would push for the 600gal tank, that's what was on there so it should be replaced. Seems no different then a 6" lift on a truck, if it gets wrote off the next one will have a 6" lift.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think finding an insurance broker who appreciates your business solves the majority of issues anyone might have with an insurance co. And paying attention during a yearly review is beneficial also. Not saying it's going to prevent getting on the wrong side of a point of policy but you might discover something and be able to change it before something unfortunate happens.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Try the Co-operators. Wawanesa lost a vehicle and farm policy due to not being able to insure a farm plated tandem grain truck as farm use. Could only insure under commercial plates, same with a 1978 3ton.
I've been with Wawanesa for many years and am quite satisfied and happy. However, had the exact same issue when I added a '74 IH Fleetstar. Took almost a year to get it changed from a Class 44 Commercial to a 34 farm truck. Ended up the broker had referred to it as a "gravel truck" and "hauling rocks and gravel" was listed as use in the original memo to add the vehicle, and that comment on the file kept convincing the inexperienced idots in Winnipeg to insist it was somehow commercial.
After making it clear to the broker I wasn't gonna stand for it, for the umpteenth time he called them and explained once more that it is the same as a grain truck except for a heavier box, and that dump trucks with steel boxes are common on a farm and that yes, hauling my own rocks and gravel is part of improving my farm, and that it even has a special grain tailgate to replace the conventional one...they then did relent, and not only changed the class, but fully refunded all the over charge.

Your broker clearly did not do their job in your case. One thing it taught me was to be careful what I describe a vehicle as in the future. I know my broker well and I know when we added it I mentioned about using it to haul rocks and gravel, both of which I have in large supply here on the farm, and it was that conversation that resulted in it being called a gravel truck. Was a case I agree of me saying too much possibly. But having a good broker who will stand up for you is almost as important as good insurance IMO;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.