The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after several years of high maintenance costs & even higher downtime I think I need to step away from Deere sprayers and try something new. I demoed an older front boom NH a few years ago I think it was a 275, it had the JD cab. I really liked the front boom & the option of getting a 1600gal tank. My number one goal when switching would be less cost of ownership & less downtime. I would really like to be able to keep the machine for 3000-4000hrs. Am I looking at the right machine for the job? Another thing I would really like is to install a JD rate controller & use a JD 2630. Anyone done this? Anyone use JD auto steer? It probably sounds dumb that I want to buy a NH sprayer & then put all the JD tech into it but I have invested heavily into JD RTK and I would like to make it easy for my hired help since I run Deere auto steer in everything else.

·
Registered
554 Posts
We have a 4365 with the 1600 ga. After using it awhile you wonder you ever got along with anything less.You can get the JD wiring.This year all the engine opens up to service.We have 5200 hrs on our 4240 Miller.We sent in the hydraulics and did a total rebuild and now have 2 years warranty. We expect another 1500 hrs and then get a new 5400

·
Registered
717 Posts
I bought a new 4275 Miller Nitro in 2008 and it's got 2500 hrs on it now and it's been basically trouble free. ( It's broke down right now. The product pump blew up on me) so it's not a serious breakdown. The front booms are something I don't want to be without. If nothing goes wrong with it and service it well I can't see why they wouldn't last 4000 hrs. The booms would be my biggest concern.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
The booms would be my biggest concern.
Have any of you Miller/NH guys looked at the front mount Pommier boom(151') at Farm Progress, do you think it is any more/less stable than factory?

I REALLY like the idea of that recirculating boom.:)

Might get a demo of one of those soon and we'll see how it does in mud, Jason you should come for a ride with me sometime or at least demo a Patriot too.;)

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
The highlights...and one low light!

BTW, I love my front booms.
Could not give me anything but a front boom.
Or a 6000 L tank.
Or something that quiet.
Or Pin Point.
Or Express end caps.
Or ride and handling.

Now, if I could just figure out what the **** it does with all that fuel!
It uses more fuel per hour than a 780 Claas combine*!:eek:

*Preliminary results, your results may vary.;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Or a 6000 L tank.
Or something that quiet.
Or Pin Point.
Or Express end caps.
Or ride and handling.

Yes they are a beauty but they are thirsty. Cummins technology!!

We have had 4 365's. 1200 hours on the first 2 trouble free. On the 2 we have now we have had 2 wheel motors go, both on the same machine. Sounds like a bad batch. I toured the factory, a real nice family operation with small town feel for sure.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Have any of you Miller/NH guys looked at the front mount Pommier boom(151') at Farm Progress, do you think it is any more/less stable than factory?

Might get a demo of one of those soon and we'll see how it does in mud, Jason you should come for a ride with me sometime or at least demo a Patriot too.;)
Looked at that today at the show, the extra 31 feet would be great. But, at a cost of over $50000 more, its hard to justify! I really like the boom system on our 365, i have nailed that thing into the ground countless times and it has never needed a weld. The bulkiness of the aftermarket boom seems excessive but i suppose its aluminum. I think all those air solenoids would be troublesome after time and kind of unnecessary when you can get pinpoint now

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I might take you up on that, I have had a really good experience with Mazer group, not that Rocky mtn has been bad tho. I just saw the 150ft boom today and the welding looked a little suspect. Quite a pretty penny too.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Or a 6000 L tank.
Or something that quiet.
Or Pin Point.
Or Express end caps.
Or ride and handling.

Seriously Don, at 38,000 pounds empty and 52,000 pounds loaded and your not sure where all the fuel goes??. It takes alot of fuel to move all that fat. Perhaps they should have made it diesel/electric like other equipment in that class, like rock wagons and locomotives. :p

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I wonder what the other manufactures machine would burn if they offered a 1600 gallon tank? Seriously I know my machine is smaller at 275 HP on the medium frame. But per acre sprayed it's just as efficient as my Deere sprayer if not more so.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
She's a thirsty wench, isn't she?

Everybody wants to dance with the big girl until its time to pay her bar bill.

As for the fuel, it gets turned into heat. Just look at the fuel rate when you are setting still with the engine at high idle. Mine is 7 gph, all going for parasitic losses.

If you use the part throttle setting when acceptable it saves a lot of fuel. On my 400, full rack is 30 mph road speed at 12 gph. The 1800 rpm part throttle setting is only 25 mph, but fuel rate drops to 8 gph. It could be Miller is pushing the hydrostat system a little to hard.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Not sure what the miller uses but our sts16 hagie uses a bit under 16g/hour. Or .1 gallons an acre. It has a setting so it will throtle up when you push hydro ahead and idle down when you pull back. Sure saves on fuel compared to running wide open. It will increase rpm as it needs more power. Normally runs at 1800 rpm while spraying
It has same motor and horsepower as the big miller

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.