The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a Gleaner N7 combine. I am familiar with the L's and L2's but not the Gleaner rotaries. They want $12,000 and it has 3,300 hours. Is that a fair price? It's in good shape, and looks like it would be a large capacity machine for the money. What are some of the benefits/disadvantages of the N-Series?? Thank you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What year is it? We used to run a 1981 N7. Lots of capacity..........when it ran. Troubles we had were to numerous to mention, but here are some. Spindles on rear axle always broke. Feeder chains always jumped a cog. Impeller on discharge always plugged on heavy crops. Cage sweep always plugged on sidehills. Radiator had to be blown out many times a day in sever conditions. Engine compartment always filled up with chaff no matter how clean you kept it...had many smoldering fires. Accelerator chain wore out every 100 hours...even the high grade chain. Alternator always failing. 2 speed gear box bolts shearing in hard crops like flax. Most of the stuff that happened on this machine was updated in newer combines. This combine was a love hate machine. Loved it when it ran, hated it with a passion when it broke down.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% sure on the year. I am guessing around an '85 because it says "Deutz-Allis" on it. It seems to be a very clean machine for a good price, but it sounds like the N-series might have some issues. I was just drawn to the simplicity compared to our Massey 860.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Price sounds about same as we paid for R7. Take someone to look at it that has experience with them and open every cover. We found lot can be hid under nice looking exterior. Most of problems were from cobbled prior repairs. We bale wheat straw all of the behind N6 without straw chopper, don't think you could with combine with straw chopper. dfb

·
Registered
161 Posts
Forgot to add in last post I have helped neighbor work on MF combine you won't belive how much nicer it is to work on N7 and no motor by cab. dfb

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 81 n7 for sale, always runs, has heavy rear axel from r60 factory one broke in half as the early ones were weak, feeder chains never jump, has chopper not impeller, removed cage sweep like every other n series for many miles around here, accelerator rolls are gear drive, 1 new alternator in 17 years, need to blow out radiator and clean engine compartment no more often than any other machine, never had a gear box problem. Year of machine isn't as important as knowing what updates or improvements it has. I obviousely have had a much better experience with my machine than koldkanuck, but compare the numerous differences in our same year machines. If all the issues have been addressed, don't write it off. For baling put chopper in low speed and drop chopper concave knives down.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like if the N7 had updates and was maintained well, it should be a good machine. How much were you asking for yours? How many hours? I am located in Billings, Montana. Where do you live at?

·
Registered
140 Posts
runner sounds like he has a good machine.if the tresher doors were siliconed there was no chaff. did that to mine. how are the acc rolls for wear. other than that maybe new style reverser if it doesnt already have one and away you go. also return to cyl kit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm 30 miles north of Fargo, ND. Right now I have it advertised with a 24' flex with stainless feathers and a crary finger air reel for $10,000 and I have corn, rigid, and pickup heads available. Has return to cyl, 13 bar concave, old style reverser works perfect, but I have new style with bracket that needs rebuild. 3715 eng. hrs. Too bad we're not closer. The one you are looking at sounds like a very late production N7, They just don't sell that high in this area. Read up on some earlier posts on this form about N5, 6, 7's, as the only real difference is the engine/hp and you will get a lot of info on these machines.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I think the hauling from Fargo to Billings would kill me. I think down around $10,000 would be a little better price. The dealer wants $12,000 right now. When I go up there next I'll be sure and look it over good, keeping in mind some of the things I learned in the forum. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts